what do i do???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BC86

Ok Its been almost 2 wks...i feed him 6-8 crickets at a time...all the sudden about two wks ago he just stopped eatin...wont even acknowlege them...he has become very lazy and wont move off his basking branch....i dont know what to do...and also it seems like his growth has just stopped...and he has developed alot of stress marks and got skinny...started to feed him juvenile bearded dragon food by repto cal and at first he started to eat that but then just stopped...im just really confused....any kind of help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Oh my, alright, first off have all the necessaries been sorted out for his enclosure ?
Temps, lights ect ?
I would recommend getting some baby food, chix, green bean, and squash. You can bring these to room temp, adding in a pinch of calcium and either try using a silver spoon to feed him just a bit each time, or an eye dropper to place on his nose, not covering up the nostrils.
Have you been offering baths ? This is the very best way to not only hydrate, but check for impactions. You place him inside the water, no higher than shoulders, and stroke his little tummy gently from top to bottom on the left side I believe, though someone may need to check me on that. Most dragons will poo in the bath, or right after making things easier.
If you do feel something hard in the tummy area, use pureed pure pumpkin and a drop or two of olive oil to try to get things moving.
Hope this helps out !
Janie.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello,

Sorry your little one's not eating for you. If you want to go over your set up with us we can see if everything is up to par.

What type/brand UVB and basking bulbs are you using?
What are your temps both on basking side and cool side?
How are you measuring your temps(digital thermometer, stick on therm.,etc...)?
How old is your beardie?
When was the last time he went poop?

Dawn

BC86

Original Poster
ok thank you both... just to start... this is the first time i have ever had a b.d. i got him from somebody who didnt want it, he was kept in a box with lights before i got him, the box wasnt even a terrerium, and this person never even really acknowleged him, just fed him once a week, and he asked me if i wanted cus he didnt anymore... no i havent ever bathed him...he hates being handled,when ever i go to pick him up he flares out and runs...and i only have one temp gauge in my tank, its a digital one, and i just kinda set it up in the middle of the tank, i have a 100 watt (bought today, upgrade from the 75 watt one i had before just a little while ago) heating light on the right side of the tank, and a UV bulb in the middle, and a red day light on the left side, he gets light for 11 hours a day (thats what i was told by the person i got him from, for how much light a day he got) i didnt really change his eating habits, once about every few days i would give him 6 crickets at a time, then i bought that juvenile dragon food, it is like a pellet food, just in case he got hungry in between the time i would feed crickets....i cant seem to get the temp. in his tank above 75F IDK why that is, he pooped a few days ago, cleaned his tank completly today, new sand and everything, he seems to be exploring more than he was... i also tried to get some mealworms and put them in there, but he wont even acknowlege that they are there..i tried to hand feed him but he wont open his mouth to eat...i just dont know what to do...

BC86

Original Poster
o and i wanna say he is almost a yr...but not sure, person i got him from didnt take care of him

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
First off, how old is he ? This is important as juveniles eat more than an adult.
You may want to rethink the sand if he is under a year to 18 months too. I use tile in all my vivs, easy to clean, looks terrific, and no issues with bacteria or impaction.
Also meal worms are a terrible food. The hard shell is difficult to digest and can also cause impaction.
This is an excellent list to choose foods from.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html
Do you know what kind of UVB is being used and how old it is ? Florescent tube UVBs need to be replaced every 5-6 months, while Mercury Vapor Bulbs can be changed out every 11-13 months, depending on which kind you have.
Also how close can the dragon get to the basking and UVB ?
Tube (reptiSun 10.0) 6-8 ", MVB 12". Basking also around 12".
Janie.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Alright, a year is good. You will still want to not feed the mealworms, and check out that list too !
Since he is a year old, space out over the week 50 crickets, some each day and you will want to use a calcium if a tube UVB, with D3. If this is a MVB than calcium without D3 is needed.
You can sprinkle the calcium daily for 5 days on both the salad and on the prey insects, and use a multivitamin on the last two days.
The flaring is most likely "cage aggression". You can handle him and get him more used to you this way. Place your hand even with him, in front. SLowly side your hand under his chin, then front feet, and all the way to his back feet, making sure all are supported, front feet, tummy and back feet. Raise him slowly out, and if needed, wrap him up like a burrito in an old tee shirt that you have worn.
You can then place him on your chest, stroking his back for about 5 minutes a day, each day. Leaving the shirt in with him, will get him used to your smell too !
I would also suggest finding an "exotic" vet that deals with dragons, and take him on into for a visit. You will want to have a fresh fecal sample for the vet to check for parasites and high coccidia (5 or better).
I hope this helps out !
Janie.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello again,

Could you tell us what type and brand of uvb you are using? It is really important. If you are only getting a reading of 75 degrees in your tank with a 100watt bulb, there's something wrong. It's one of two things, either your thermometer does not work correctly(this is the one I'm guessing) or the enclosure is really large. You need to get a digital thermometer with a wire and probe end. There is one called Acurite, which you can get at Walmart for $12. It is in the section where they sell home thermometers(not the pet section). Your temps are extremely important for the health of your beardie. If he is a year old his temps should be around 100-105 on the basking side and 75-85 on the cool side.
Please let us know about that UVB.

Dawn

BC86

Original Poster
i have a 100 watt , the tank is a tall enclosure, it is 48" Length, 19" Tall, And 13" Wide... the lights sit on top of the screen which is 19" to the bottom...the spot where he basks is about 6" from the light....I use a Exo Terra 10.0 UVB Light, and a 100 watt Zoo Med basking bulb from 6:30 AM to 6:30 PM? ill try to post pics...

BC86

Original Poster
100_0024.jpg

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hello again,

I'm going to try and help you get your beardie feeling better. Let me start with the age of your beardie, unless he has not grown much at all he does not look even close to a year old. I could be wrong(pictures can be very deceiving). Can you measure him from nose to tip of tail for me?

He does not look like an adult so I am going to give you a different feeding schedule than the previous poster did. Try not to feed the mealworms. Can you get him some crickets? If you can get crickets, feed him those 3 x a day, all he can consume in a 10-15 minute period of time. The crickets need to be dusted(only 1 feeding per day) with calcium powder w/vitaminD3 5 x a week and a multivitamin powder 2 x a week. He also needs to be offered fresh greens/veggies daily( you got the nutrition list).

As for your lighting, I believe this is where your problem could be with your beardies behavior. Unfortunately the Exo Terra compact/coil UVB light you are using is not a great UVB. That UVB has been known to cause eye problems and other health issues in beardies. The infrared light is also not a good bulb for your little guy. When using these bulbs your beardies health just simply declines. Some of the signs ,which you are already seeing, are loss of appetite and lethargy. Have you noticed your beardie closing one or both of his eyes alot?

My suggestion is get rid of the Exo Terra set up and go with a ReptiSUN 10.0 fluorescent tube UVB light. This particular UVB is the best linear bulb and is used by many owners on here including myself.

All you need besides the UVB is a heat/basking bulb, which you already have. You do not need any colored bulbs. I believe you have a 55 gallon tank. If you need additional heat you can use an ordinary household bulb(during the day). If additional heat is needed at night you can use a CHE(ceramic heat emitter), these produce heat only, no light. Beardies need total darkness at night for proper sleep.

Your beardie needs to be within 6-8" of the UVB light and 10-12" of his basking light.

For your temps, They need to be around 100-105 on basking spot and 80-85 on cool side. The thermometer you have looks like a digital with wire and a probe end. To measure your temps put the probe directly on his basking spot and leave it there for at least 45 min. to get your most accurate reading. Then for the cool side just put on the floor of the viv in the coolside.

You may also want to consider getting rid of the sand in the enclosure. There are just too many risks involved with it. I believe Janie mentioned that also. You can use papertowels, repti carpet, or slate tile for a substrate.

If you have any questions, please ask...we only want what's best for your beardie.. :D

Dawn

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
I believe you actually have a number of threads about very similar issues in regards to your dragon.
It is much easier and more efficient if you could stick to one thread as I believe you are getting alot of the same advice in both threads and its not efficent for two sets of memebers to be asking you the same questions and getting the same answers in two different threads.

Just a note for the future ^_^
We are always happy to answer any questions you have, but it helps to keep it in one place!

I do hope you have managed to remove the sand and replaced the bulb by now :)

All the best
Holly x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom