what brand of food for the crickets???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
what is better Ghann's cricket chow or Flukers orange cubes? Also does it matter what brand water crystals Ghann's crystals or Flukers?? I know nothing about crickets so I don't know the deference.

Also what kind or dog food?? The cheapest?

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Another option for feeding your crickets would be to give them the same greens that you give your dragons as well as the dragon food pellets. It is stuff that is good for the crickets and also good for your dragon. This is what I did when I had to deal with crickets and it worked great because my dragon rarely ate all of the greens before they started to go bad, plus the crickets would eat the tougher stem pieces.

wykd

look up cricket crack... feeding/water crickets your wasting money buying those brands. cricket crack and water crystal combo = all they need. You can buy enough water crystals for 1/2 the cost of the flukers to make 2 gallons of crystals. And for calcium/viatamins look into repashy calcium plus, you dust your feeders once a day every day and no need to do the vitamins on off days and calcium on other days.

I like a dry cricket food because it makes a dry poop/frass which is easier less messy when dealing with crickets, but then again i stopped using crickets ages ago and went pure dubia!

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I planned on putting the beardies left overs in with the crickets but I know that wont be enough on it's own.....Right now I just want easy for the crickets. I have heard so many different things that I am getting confused on what I need to do for the crickets. I understand that everyone has a different opinion but I know nothing about crickets and I dont even know if I can keep them alive at this point. I understand that other ways might be cheaper and I would love to know about those as well but for right now I am placing an order from Ghanns and I need to know what is best out of what they carry. We are going Sat. to pick out our beardie so I am on a time limit to get these things as I will need it to keep them alive.

I know that a lot of people would rather have roaches but after moving in to a rental that had it's own roach colony a few years ago I will not pay for then to come in my house... It is a big issue for me. I don't live in that house any more but I cant stand the thought of ever seeing another roach again in my life. So that is a no go in my house.

wykd

well i gave my suggestion on feeding the crickets, but if you have already made you mind up then why ask the question in the 1st place? You can nickel and dime yourself to death and most ppl do when they think they need to buy the big label food, thus complaining about the cost of feeder's. /shrug

I just told you the plain simple truth, best bet for cricket food is something that packs the vitamins/minerals that gutload the feeder daily. When I used crickets to feed my chameleons i would only use cricket crack, and considering that cost of my cheapest cham was around 500 i was looking for quality feeders to keep my investments healthy, thus research pointed to repashy for vitamins/calcium and cricket crack for feeding my crickets. Those orange cubes you buy from flukers... they are basically hydrated water crystals with orange juice absorbed as well. I used to use diluted v8 juice to hydrate my water crystals and provided macro nutrients not just water.

There are plenty of views and opinions out there on this matter, now you have to form your own and whats best for you, your wallet, and your pets. I choose to be selective of what I drop in my feeder colonies, ie greens mold very fast and feeders will drag them up into the egg crates and chance of mold crashing your feeder bin just went up when that happens.

SammieLee

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
wykd":3tk8gwck said:
well i gave my suggestion on feeding the crickets, but if you have already made you mind up then why ask the question in the 1st place? You can nickel and dime yourself to death and most ppl do when they think they need to buy the big label food, thus complaining about the cost of feeder's. /shrug

I just told you the plain simple truth, best bet for cricket food is something that packs the vitamins/minerals that gutload the feeder daily. When I used crickets to feed my chameleons i would only use cricket crack, and considering that cost of my cheapest cham was around 500 i was looking for quality feeders to keep my investments healthy, thus research pointed to repashy for vitamins/calcium and cricket crack for feeding my crickets. Those orange cubes you buy from flukers... they are basically hydrated water crystals with orange juice absorbed as well. I used to use diluted v8 juice to hydrate my water crystals and provided macro nutrients not just water.

There are plenty of views and opinions out there on this matter, now you have to form your own and whats best for you, your wallet, and your pets. I choose to be selective of what I drop in my feeder colonies, ie greens mold very fast and feeders will drag them up into the egg crates and chance of mold crashing your feeder bin just went up when that happens.

I asked what was best out of 2 brands.....I know there are a ton of other things out there that I would love to look into I am just on a time dead line and need to get it from Ghanns when I order. I know there are lots of options out there and it is all very over whelming. I just dont know the needs at this point to form my own opinion yet So i am wanting others. I am not trying to be hateful just trying to place my order and I dont know what to get. I have read and read on breaded dragons over the last 3 months and have found very little on how to feed the crickets. I guess maybe I just didn't look in the right spot.

I was told from a nameless source to use sweet potatoes. I had done this and the crickets would flock to the sweet potato chunks like crazy. Is it beneficial? I have no idea. All I can tell you is George and Weezy ate the crickets and are still alive and kicking. And yes they are happy and doing good not just alive. I put a little cup of the Flukers cricket powder crap in there and they don't flock to it like the sweet potato.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom