What are Collard greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLab

I appreciate it may seem a stupid question, and one that can be answered with a google search, but searching on google just leaves me more confused.

What, exactly, are collard greens?

Its not a term we use here in the UK, and searching on google explains that collard greens are leafy greens, like cabbage, kale, mustard greens (again, no idea what these are) and turnip greens (ditto). I am fine with cabbage and kale, except I understand feeding these to your beardie too often can lead to issues with calcium binding and its generally not a good idea.

So far, I offered rocket, grated raw butternut squash (I've seen conflicting reports about whether its better to feed it raw or cooked), a little kale, some dandelion leaves, and sugar snap peas.
The rocket and sugar snap peas have gone over well, as did the kale. The dandelion leaves Nova didn't express much interest in, and she's not shown much interest in the butternut squash either.
I want to be able to bulk make her food for the week, so I can focus on her insect feeds while she's still growing.

So, beyond the initial question of what collard greens actually are. I'd also like to ask what owners here feed their beardies?

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

In the U.S. "collards" are a specific type of green that is traditionally found in southern cooking, which is to say the states that were considered "the South" in our Civil War. Here's a link to the kind I sometimes get for my beardies.

https://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetables/collards/flash-f1-collard-seed-2116.html

As for diet, I tend to follow the chart on the website BeautifulDragons, which there's a link for on this site under Care Sheets. Mainly, I try to mix it up among things that are considered 'staples' and throw in the other things from time to time so that they don't get bored or deficient in something because of too small a range in their diet. For bugs, I mainly feed dubia (dubia blaptica) roaches, with hornworms and superworms as treats. There's some discussion around frequency for feeding bugs, but I tend to feed mine a small number daily. Greens are lightly dusted with calcium at each feeding and I use a calcium + supplement from Repashy 2x/week so they get vitamin D and a few other macronutrients.

Hope this helps!

SPandS

Juvie Member
From the little research I just did I believe they are what's called spring greens over in the UK, which is different than what we call spring greens here in the US

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
LouieLizard":352ndx5h said:
So, beyond the initial question of what collard greens actually are. I'd also like to ask what owners here feed their beardies?
I feed mainly collard greens and mustard greens for greens. I used to also give Bok Choy as a staple green but the store near me now doesn't sell very good bok choys. My staple veggie is yellow squash. And from there I will occasionally add items such as bell peppers, strawberries, and other fruits.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom