What am I missing regarding waxworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
I received a free tub of waxworms from a local petstore. I put them in the fridge as instructed. We've been feeding each beardie one a day. How do you know if they are good? They take FOREVER to start moving after coming from the fridge. I had one yesterday that never did move. I threw it out. Is there a secret?

Hi,

The fridge is usually a bit too cold (about 44.6F / 7C). I keep them best at about 59F/15C up to 68F/20C. If you want to keep them good for a longer time (over a week), then I would recommend 59F. Also feed them a bit with some honey and natural fibres and keep them stored in some shaven wood.

Cheers,
J.

ArchiesFamily

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So am I killing them in the fridge? I'm unsure where in my house I could get a consistant temp around the 59degree range. I assumed they would live "forever" in the fridge. Do they have a short lifespan?

Hi,

Not killing, I would rather say "put them in coma and leave them braindead :? ". Sorry, stupid joke :oops: . Don't you have a cellar or attic where you can keep a reasonable and consistent temperature? Or maybe a cool place in a store room, if you have one? A bit cooler then 59F is ok, as long as it does not come under 50F (10C). I keep mine at an average temperature of 68F/20C (with day/night temperature differences and all), and feed them with cricket food (prepared stuff with agar-agar, and all sweet and nutricious ingredients, but honey and biological beeswax with sometimes some fibres like bran is very good too) and keep the substrate moist (every 2-3 days a slight bit of water sprayed over the substrate). Don't close the lid; if the box or container is high enough, they will not climb out and they will get enough fresh air. If you feed honey, refresh the substrate every 2-3 days, if you feed cricket food, refreshing the substrate is not really necessary.

The maximum span I have keept them alive without pupating is about 4 weeks, but I think most of the worms do not make that time, while they are already fed to the beardies :mrgreen: .

Please be a bit careful in feeding the waxworms. As their normal diet is honey and beeswax, the worms contain a lot of sugar/fat and should only be given as a treat 3-4 per week/per beardie unless you have a beardie which needs to gain extra weight quickly (b.g. after illness).

Cheers,
J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom