What about pinkies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwperkins

I have 2 male "adult" Beardies that do great with their salad and Dubias, but I just rescued another male who was VERY neglected. He had no UVB, and a heat light that was way to small for his enclosure. To top it all off, they were feeding him mostly Iceberg lettuce and Crickets that he didn't eat well. I have finally gotten him to eat more greens and a few (2-3) Dubias at a time. My problem is that he is very skinny. Would it be feasible to try to get him to eat a Pinkie? If si, frozen or live???. Is there anything else I should try to get him to eat?

P.s. He is more active and getting a bit healthier each day, just want to speed things up if I can.

Thank you

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
If he is especially poorly then you don't want to feed too rich of food at first. Slow and steady is what his body needs. Without UV andheat his organs and body systems might be in pretty poor shape and you don't want to overload them with to much nutritious food - counter intuitive as it sounds.

I would also avoid pinks since they might be difficult for him to digest and they aren't a needed part of the diet anyway.

Rwperkins

Original Poster
Should I avoid crickets for now also due to their hard exoskeleton?

Any suggestions on a good recipe?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I'd stick with crickets/dubia and a good salad (greens and juicy veggies etc). Small meals for a while until you are sure he's digesting well. If you can offer other bugs like silkworms or Phoenix worms they would be good choices too.

Rwperkins

Original Poster
Taterbug":318b65wl said:
I'd stick with crickets/dubia and a good salad (greens and juicy veggies etc). Small meals for a while until you are sure he's digesting well. If you can offer other bugs like silkworms or Phoenix worms they would be good choices too.

Thank you much. Arach appreciates the advice as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom