What’s the best way for 1 person to give meds orally?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonscales

Hatchling Member
My little Ember Rose was starting her first brumation and after a few weeks of her waking up off and on I noticed her poo looked a little different. So I took the sample to the vet to have a fecal done. The people at the vets said it appeared like average dragon poop. Once the test results were in the vet informed me that my dragon has coccidia and lots of parasites :(. He said it was good that it was caught this soon because if the problem was not treated and she stayed in brumation the parasites will cause a lot of harm. I remember reading about that in the Brumation article on this site. That was the reason I took the sample to the vet in the first place. So thanks to that info my dragon is getting treatment to destroy all the parasites.
Now to my question.
What is a good way to safely give her meds by myself?
I need to give her meds once every day for about 14 days and I want to make sure she gets all of the medication. Once the meds are done the vet will do another fecal test and checkup.
Thanks

Tracey13

Hi

I have to give my beardie meds orally every day for gout. I let him sit in his enclosure and just move him so I can reach him easily. Some times he surprises me and just drinks it from the syringe if I squeeze the first drop out on his mouth. It helps if he is not too full from drinking a lot of water already but I did give him half a dropper of applesauce mixed with water to get him excited about drinking first. If he is not feeling cooperative, I throw a few crickets in and while he is chewing one, I just squirt the medicine in by the side of his mouth and he swallows it with his food. It's a lot easier than trying to pry his mouth open and I can do it without help. Good luck!
Tracey

dom1959

great vid, thanks for sharing!

i taught my chameleons to drink from a syringe by putting a drop on the lips and being patient until they opened and drank. so when i recently got my bd i immediately did the same thing. really beneficial as a reptile owner.

dragonscales

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the video
Yesterday I gave Ember Rose a superworm then put the meds in while she was eating. Today I held her head and opened her mouth with the syringe tip. It worked well but she did note like it and squirmed the whole time. They are strong little things.
I did try putting a drop on her lips for her to lick it and I would keep dispensing the meds as she licked it away. I did that only once because now when I go near her with a syringe she will back away from it or turn her head. Having pulled her out of her cave and wake her up from brumation is not helping her mood either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom