We're afraid of our beardie now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry about it
My Vitkin Dragon (mix between a bearded and Rankin dragon) used to do that, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's going to bite you. In some cases, its because he wants to be the dominant one, if you haven't seen any waving or submissive behaviour, that could be the problem.
The best way to treat this is to hold him every day for long periods of time, and not to show any fear, as they can sense that as being submissive and therefore, they will try to be the more dominant one.
Do not be scared of the Beardie, as once they know their place, they can be very cuddly and cute.
Just make sure you hold him regularly, hand feed him (this also shows that you are the dominant as YOU are giving HIM the food) and also, sometimes beardies will open their mouths because they are too hot, so they are essentially panting.
ta
x

Pleaides

Juvie Member
aww arnt they cute when they think their boss! lol
my little guy, mischief (got his name for a very good reason) was terrible when he was younger, he literally used to flatten out his whole body to make himself look bigger, black beard completely puffed out, mouth wide and the hissing! my oh my! never heard such loud hissing from a little 8" beardie! it was amusing, everytime i picked him up he used to somewhat spin his head round to bite but i was never worried bout him biting me, he never did as well, thats the thing, he threatened to but never did the little wuss, all attitude and no action!
my point is he was like this for a good couple of months of owning him, hes now a year old and calmed down so so much, hes a little angel (well at times) he still likes to think hes boss at times, every now and then as i pick him up he will open his mouth and flatten out, i just laugh at him and say "silly little dragon trying to be boss" hehe
he should get used to you, its ok, its a teenage thing!
good luck
:D

LRoss

I have to say I have a new beardie myself and have been a little timid of his actions.. All the advice in here I am going to try too! I was letting little Angus get used to his surroundings before taking him out, but tonight I tried for the first time and I was so sure he was going to bite me but he never did. I'm going for round two tomorow and will try some of these tricks.

What I did tonight was give him a worm, let him see my hand, pet him, and then give him another worm and repeat. I gave him 5 worms while he was in his tank, progressively petting him then attempting to pick him up, and then after one more worm I was able to take him out onto my bed, where I fed him another 5 worms. I hope he'll get affectionate soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom