Weird Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshD

For a while now my bearded dragon has been making a strange noise. I probably noticed it about a month ago, maybe longer. She normally makes this noise a couple times a day, Mostly always in the morning/afternoon, and never at night or when sleeping. She does it so fast that I can usually never catch her doing it, and i'm not able to get a video. But when she makes the noise I always hear it. Her tank is about 10 feet away from my bed and I always hear it clearly. Today I actually saw her do it, she was sitting in the basking spot, and she puffed up her beard/throat a couple times as if she was sucking in air, and then she pushed it out making a weird cough/wheeze/puff of air noise. I've always thought it was strange but I was never worried since she doesn't have any other symptoms, and I could not afford a vet visit at the time. Last week she stopped going to the bathroom for days and I ended up having to take her to the vet. They had to give her an enema, but they were able to get her to poop out everything that was blocked up. I asked the vet about the noise and she didn't have any ideas. They ran a fecal and it came back perfectly fine. I turned down an x-ray because of the $150 charge. The vet didn't seem to know anything about the noise I was describing and told me everything is fine. But she still continues to make this noise, so has anyone else experienced this noise on a regular basis? or have any idea if it is normal or not? I appreciate any input! Thanks so much

Josh

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Josh, it sounds like a mild respiratory infection and I'm surprised the vet didn't know that. What exactly are your temps. in the tank and do you ever soak/bathe her ? How much time, if any, does she spend out of her tank ? How old is she ? If her basking temp. is 100 or less, bump it up a few degrees. Keep her night temp. around 78-82 ....this can boost her immune system and fight off the potential illness.

And it's pretty common for beardies to have long spells between bowel movements sometimes and is almost never necessary to be seen by a vet. Next time she doesn't poo for a while, just give her some natural laxatives like baby food squash, canned pumpkin [ no spices or applesauce , with a few drops of veg. oil added to any of those. Then a warmer than usual bath the next day.

JoshD

Original Poster
The temps in her basking spot are about 100, right now its reading 100-105. I do give her a bath usually every other day, sometimes every couple days, and she usually always goes to the bathroom. She spends some time out of her tank, I let her run around my room I would say every day. She is about 6 months, she eats roaches dusted and mustard greens daily

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Cut down the baths to once a week, not too late at night, pat her dry quickly + put her back in the heat of the tank. Don't keep her out after a bath at all, they can not dry completely and will become chilled easily. If you let her out to interact, make sure it's only a short period of time and again, not after a bath.

She looks beautiful and visually healthy, just try to keep her R.I from getting worse. :)

JoshD

Original Poster
Whenever I give her a bath, it is usually during the day and she always goes right back under the basking spot, I will cut back on her baths. Is there anything I can do to make it go away? will she need medicine or anything? I'm just worried that she's suffering if it is an RI. Thanks for your help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just keep her warm and make sure the temps. are warmer at night like I mentioned. Other than that, if it continues you may want a vet to check her lungs, if you want this vet to do the X-rays but if your vet doesn't seem to know what the sounds are you might see if you can find a more experienced reptile vet.

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Not really. If you do take her to a vet, make sure it is an experienced reptile vet. General vets are often a bit clueless when it comes to bearded dragons and other reptiles.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It doesn't seem serious enough to worry much if it's only a couple times a day. Once in a while they do it after they eat. But again, the only way to be sure is to have a vet take an X-ray or swab her mouth/throat for a culture.

JoshD

Original Poster
So I ended up going to the vet and they prescribed her Baytril. She was given the medicine for 10 days as instructed, and while she was taking the medicine she seemed fine. Now a few days later she is making this noise again. I can't afford another vet visit, so does anyone have any ideas? or advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom