weird behavior with two dragons, looking for opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

alyel

Juvie Member
ok, let me start this of with saying...THE TWO DRAGONS ARE GETTING SEPARATED ASAP....so please dont flock all over me for having two in one cage. we simply had to put the two in the same tank till the new ones were built.

Im posting this because im stumped at the behavior and just want to see what other people think.....

with that said....we recently got two baby BD off of another site member, they are supposed to be male and female although as of right now were still not 100% sure. GUNNER is the male and PiPeR is the female(makes telling this story easier) they have both been in the same tank for about 3 weeks now. Gunner has developed some odd behaviors and we are now worried about him. GUNNER and PiPeR get along great from what we can tell..they have never fought, and seemed to really like each other. they were the exact same size when we got them. over the last week and a half....the two of them have seem to have grown SO attached to each other that they will not leave each other alone. they ALWAYS have to be touching one another...at night, they sleep one on top of the other. during a bath, they have to be touching each other. when we hold them both, one of them will rush to get back to the other(this is mostly GUNNER). we have also seen gunner on more then occasion sitting on pipers back and actually ride around on her while shes walking around. they are both eating a mix of collards, escarole, crickets, baby food squash, and phoenix worms. we've realized in the last week that while they are both eating fine, gunner does not eat NEARLY as much as piper..but they dont fight over food. piper dosent seem to be bulling him and now as of today piper is almost twice the size as gunner..gunner is the exact same size as the day we got him. we were worried that maybe piper was hogging gunners food when we were not looking, but piper never bothers him when hes eating. we watch him eating greens, crickets. when we give them phoenix worms..they go into a friggin frenzy(they LOVE phoenix worms) so we have been taking gunner out and feeding him his own dish alone..still..he only eats a few then stops.

my question is...what is stunting grunners growth? what would cause two dragons to become "attached at the hip". I will say...a MAJORITY of the clinging and touching is actually GUNNER wanting to be near piper, where as when we first started seeing an issue we though piper was bullying gunner. as soon as the new set up is done we will be separating them...or sooner if i can get my hands on another tank. I wasnt really all THAT concerned with the clingyness until i starting seeing a huge differents in their size...but if GUNNER is the one clinging to piper...why is HE the smaller one? Ive never seen either of them puff, hiss, or even seem to get upset in the least. and infact..for babies they are actually mildly calm.

anybody got any ideas whats going on here?

AndyT

Juvie Member
This is odd. Gunner is exhibiting dominant behavior by getting on top of Piper, but Piper is larger, which would suggest dominance. As for always being on each other, this is a sign of dominance, and trying to get warmer, especially if one is laying on the other in the basking spot. This is pretty odd, hopefully when they are separated, you will see Gunner grow. Sorry I can't be of more help, keep us posted.

Andy

alyel

Juvie Member
Original Poster
im building the cage as i speak. hope to have it done soon. its weird..because they both seem to really like each other, and while BOTH seem to show SOME kinda signs of being the dominate one..BOTH also show signs of being the suppressed. I mean, if you watch them(and they are in my living room so we watch them constantly) you would never know there is any problems at all if it weren't for the fact that gunners so much smaller and not growing.
In the last few days i will say gunners appetite must have kicked into high gear because hes eating WAY more then he has been. as i said before...pipers not TAKING food from him...he just dosent seem to want to eat. although as i just said he seems to be eating alot more

AndyT

Juvie Member
That's good news! Hopefully Gunner's appetite will stay like that and he'll begin to grow! Piper wouldn't be taking it, but Gunner would be scared to eat a lot because Piper is bigger/dominant, but Gunner is also showing signs of dominance. that doesn't matter now, as long as they're both eating. Expecting pics when the new cage is done!

Andy

alyel

Juvie Member
Original Poster
yeah...me being me i went a little crazy on the cage. its HUGE! I will post pics when its done for sure.

anyway, I fed them about 50 crix just this morning and watched the two of them eat. all i have to say is gunner went after them like a crazy ape. theres no doubt in my mind that he is not afraid of piper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom