Weight of Dragon??

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazz

Hi

I've had my dragon for 10 weeks now and he is about 5 month old. He still doesn't eat anything when i put them in his tank and i have too leave the hoppers in all day and he maybe eat 10-15 a day. Wont touch salad at all! Bought calci worms which i leave in a bowl and there lucky too get touched unless i physically move him too the bowl he maybe have a few.

He's had stress marks since the day i've had him so i've basically gave up tryin too sort that out.....

Problem is he only weighs 21.3grams which is pretty bad im thinking. I've bought a reptisun for him - never changed anything.
Parasite teset showed all clear..

Anyone else had this kind of experience??

WolfMama

Hatchling Member
Hi, Frazz :)

I know some of the info people will ask to help you with your situation, so I thought I'd just post the list of questions to help you out :)

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

A question I had for you at the other thread was: Do you give him 2 hours of basking BEFORE you feed him? If not, that could be the reason why he doesn't eat straight away. They need basking time before they eat. There body needs to wake up and get going. Or, are they getting a full 10 hours of sleep (lights off)? Also, do you leave the basking light on 2 hours AFTER they eat at night?

Hope this helps to get the answers you need :)

frazz

Original Poster
How old is your dragon? 5-6months
How long have you had your dragon? 10 weeks
How long is your dragon? 10 inch
What is the sex of your dragon? Unknown
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 3x1.5x1.5
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? vinyl flooring
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? Arcadia 12%
How old is your UVB bulb? 2 weeks
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 6-7 inch
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Pro-Rep Basking Spot Lamp 40W - Normal translucent bulb
What are the basking temps? Varies during day 100 - 110
What is the cool side temp? Varies 77 - 82
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Digital thermometer one on basking spot and another at cool end all the time
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? Probe on top of his rock
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Hoppers at the moment and calci worms. Tried crickets and roachs but they can hide in his vivarium. Salad everyday which isnt touched (spring greens, kale, apple, babyleaf, butternut squash)
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? Morning and Teatime food has too be left in as he wont eat straight away
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Use bug grub and put in greens, apple slices every couple of days.
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? Nutrobal calcium supplement every morning mon - fri. Arkvit Vitamins sat and sun mornings
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? Almost daily, sometimes every 2 days
Do you bath your dragon? How often? 5 times a week
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? Sometimes put water on his nose. No water bowl.
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? Fecal came back all clear 2 weeks ago, has a small eye infection which i use drops for.
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No

A question I had for you at the other thread was: Do you give him 2 hours of basking BEFORE you feed him? If not, that could be the reason why he doesn't eat straight away. They need basking time before they eat. There body needs to wake up and get going. Or, are they getting a full 10 hours of sleep (lights off)? Also, do you leave the basking light on 2 hours AFTER they eat at night?

Have just changed him timer too give him 2 hours before i feed him. And he gets 10:15 hours lights off..

Any feedback would be helpful

WolfMama

Hatchling Member
Hi, Frazz :)

From what I saw the specs look well. There are people far more knowledgable about the specifics on husbandry then I.

Great that you now are giving him/her 2 hours basking and UVB before feeding. Do you also leave the lights on for 2 hours after his last feeding?

Not all beardies like the calci worms. Mine doesn't seem to care for the Phoenix worms. That's not to say that he may not develop a liking later on. Did you beardie seem to prefer the debia or crickets? You can try feeding him in another container if they get lost in the viv. My beardie likes to eat them out of a container IN his viv. I've been meaning to share a video clip of that. It's rather cute :) Our beardie doesn't like to hunt. The occasional hunt he enjoys, but not for his meal. He eats much better and more if he has quick and easy accesss. It is difficult for them to move about in a viv going around their furniture :D trying to get hiding insects.

Have you tried a dish in an area of his viv not directly under the light? The dubia climb out of our dish, but I put them in with food and they'll start eating the food (crickets do that as well). I've heard that locust are more nutritional then crickets, and they tend to like them more. I don't know how true that is. I'm just wondering, don't they locust tend to run off and hide, also? Is it possible he is having a difficult time catching the hoppers and doesn't care for the calci worms?

See if the lights on 2 hours before feeding makes a difference. It definitely would make a difference for their morning appetite :) And, again, make sure he/she has the basking and UVB lights on for 2 hours after his/her last meal.

If absolutely none of the above makes a difference, you MAY want to try picking a weekend or a couple of days when you are going to be home throughout the day, and upon introducing the food 2 hours after the lights are on, giving him 15 to 20 minutes. If he starts to eat, leave it until he is done then remove the extra. If he doesn't, remove the food, then give again at teatime, if he doesn't eat them, remove and try again a few hours later. See if that stirs an appetitie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom