Weight loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potts

My bearded dragon was looking healthy and shedding about a week ago and I noticed for about 2 days he was very lethargic and didn't do to much, definitely wasn't himself. Since then he has lost a lot of weight and doesn't seem to be eating much. I am very worried about his weight loss and ive lost a lot of sleep over it.

Bulb: Arcadia 10.0 24" about 3 months old.
I got Larry on the 22nd November 09 but I don't know his age.
Hot side, 32-35, cool 26-28.
Diet, one meal worm salad a day: 5-9 meal worms with kale, carrot, cucumber and lettuce with a dash of supplement+D3.

I can't measure or weigh him atm because he looks like he might eat something so don't want to disturb him but if you want more info just ask.

P.S: Sorry if this isn't important enough for this forum didn't know were else it would fit.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is losing some weight.
Have you gotten a fecal done on him recently? That is where I would start.
What type of thermometer are you using? A stick on type, a digital probe or a temp gun? The recommended basking temps are 35-43 & the cool temps at 26-28. If he is not warm enough, he wont be able to digest his food properly & his parasite or worm level may increase because of stress.
Do you offer him any other feeders besides mealworms? The mealworms are pretty fatty so it is not recommended to feed them on a daily basis. I would try crickets, roaches, phoenix worms, butterworms, or superworms for other choices.
Are you using calcium supplementation on a regular basis for him as well?
The Kale is ok for greens but not as a regular staple as it is too high in oxalates & can bind calcium absorption. Since you are in the UK area, try looking for arugula, rocket, dandelion greens or endive for other choices. The carrot & cucumber are ok, but the cucumber is pretty watery & doesn't have a whole lot of nutrition, & the carrots are ok too. Try for green beans, or some squash varieties for higher nutrient dense foods.

Let me know how he is doing.
Tracie

Potts

Original Poster
No I haven't done a faecal ever.
I just a duel probe digital thermometer.
I feed him supplements every day.
I only offer him meal worms.

Today he seems to of eaten more and is looking brighter and more alert :) yey.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Glad to hear he looks better today. However, I highly recommend giving him another type of feeder as his staple. Too much fat will contribute to fatty liver disease. The mealies do not have enough nutrition so that could be one reason he is losing weight.
I would try to get a fecal on him though, to see if he has parasites or worms as they will cause weight loss.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom