Weight? How to tell if Under/Overweight?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Borris seems to be fine, but I've been trying to research to see if he is underweight or overweight, and there is no set scale or way to tell. He weighs close to 300 grams (i forget - I'll find out and post pics a little later) and is about 2 years old (in july aww) His activity level is norm - he's been shedding a lot lately, so he likes to chill and dry out - breakfast always gets him off his perch haha.

BUT i've been looking on sites for physical signs of underweight beardies, and I've seen some confusing things.

Above the tail, should you check for divots going from above his tail in front of his legs?

I also read that creases in the beard are signs of underweight-ness, or dehydration.

I'm worried because I have noticed some creasing in Borris' beard, so I'm going to bathe him more - he doesnt like to drink - and I'm going to try to up the superworms again maybe, but he eats well - LOVES mustard greens, eats tons of vegis and fruits and crickets - I just would love to know a way to check to see if he's okay without bringing him to the herp.

Its just so hard to tell weight because he's got a big old belly, loves climbing and jumping, but I want to ensure his longevity and friendship! Any signs you can give me will help endlessly

Thanks!
Kait

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Kait,

Pictures would definitely be helpful.
The main things looked for when assessing underweight dragons or dehydrated dragons, would be lack of fat pads or very small fat pads on the top of the head area, thin base of tail, & the hipbones stick out or the spine sticks out too much. There needs to be some softness to the area right at the hipbones so the bones are not protruding.
How long is he?
Creases in the skin anywhere on the body "can" indicate some dehydration yes. So, try increasing oral fluids or baths & that should help a good amount.

Tracie

kaitquestions

Original Poster
Thank you for your help - he's still eating as he pleases, and I've offered more Superworms... but here are some pics of him
Oh - and he is 19 inches long, about 2 years old
32265_558141648029_52805228_32515801_5201336_n.jpg

32265_558141662999_52805228_32515802_5453753_n.jpg

32265_558141667989_52805228_32515803_4942543_n.jpg

32265_558141677969_52805228_32515805_1760890_n.jpg

I'm just worried he's underweight... or normal. And any signs I can look for
thanks
kait

kaitquestions

Original Poster
oh and here is a pic of him basking - when he looks most normal

32265_558142566189_52805228_32515834_7365763_n.jpg

\

hope these pics help!
Thanks again
kait

TheWaveCarver

Hatchling Member
My bearded dragon looked very much like yours, stomach wise. I started to feed her 7 superworms everyday or 14 every other day. It is really easy to keep them and that got mostly rid of the ribs showing more on the upper sides of her body. This way its not like 20 crickets or mealworms twice a week all at once because then it all shifts through the digestive system giving you the "pot belly." I'm not expert, but this helped with giving her the plump bearded dragon look. I can tell if my beardie is over weight by checking to see if her stomach touches the ground when she walks. :p

TheWaveCarver

Hatchling Member
Since your bearded dragon is two years old i would suggest daily greens(like your doing) with 7 crickets/superworms every other to two days.

kaitquestions

Original Poster
yeah - the salad you can see in one of the pics is what he gets everyday with, with varying vegies and fruits. He loves crickets in a can, so i feed those everyday and superworms every couple days... But is that wrinkling normal? My plan is to up the baths to everyday ish and up the protein, and i'll let you know how it works. a visit to the herp for his year check up is in order... at least to put my brain to rest!

thanks everyone

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Overall, he doesn't look too bad. Some tend to have more wrinkling of the skin than others do. Try bathing to see if that will help & some oral fluids as well.
He is big enough for superworms. They are really good for beefing them up as well as maintaining their weight very nicely. I don't think he needs to gain much maybe just a tad to fill out a little bit more.

Tracie

kaitquestions

Original Poster
COOL! thanks everyone - i, like many parents, find myself in fits of paranoia. SO i'm going to still take him soon for his 1 year check up, but until then, not worry too much unless those divits and creases go out of control.

thanks so much for all your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom