Weight gain a loose stools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently put Louie on a feeding schedule. Salads daily(dandelion greens,pepper,carrot,squash,hibiscus,squash flower, occasional berries). Roaches twice a week. Calcium three times a week and vitamin once a week. He used to be feed a lot less and more at each feeding with large insect meals. His stools used to be large and firm and full of insect shells with solid urates(basically how they should look), now there small, sloppy, and loose and sometimes have mucus in them. More like a few solid pieces in liquid. Is this normal? he also went from 636 to 651g in the week and a half that I've been feeding him like this. And at 19.5 inches this is more than I would like. What should I do?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What are your basking temps at?

If hes eating more salad it's not uncommon for the extra moisture to cause looser stools. Especially if some of the salad items consist of high water content items such as fruits or certain vegies. Peppers always loosen my dragons stools.

Lowering the protein means the body requires less water, so that could also be a cause of the stool being a bit more loose. More water is passing.
Keep an eye on his weight it should settle down. In the next week or two.

-Brandon

LouieLizard

Original Poster
claudiusx":3h0xvvg6 said:
What are your basking temps at?

If hes eating more salad it's not uncommon for the extra moisture to cause looser stools. Especially if some of the salad items consist of high water content items such as fruits or certain vegies. Peppers always loosen my dragons stools.

Lowering the protein means the body requires less water, so that could also be a cause of the stool being a bit more loose. More water is passing.
Keep an eye on his weight it should settle down. In the next week or two.

-Brandon
Basking temps it set at 108 with a CHE.
Is there any way to make them more solid? because that would make life easier. I guess that means he hydrated though.
And thank you! :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does he also have a basking light that produces visible light, or is it just the uvb and the CHE?

Diet changes often cause irregular stools, i'd just ride it out for a bit longer and see if they firm up.
How many roaches are you giving him at those twice a week feedings?

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LouieLizard":uo6dt0fs said:
I recently put Louie on a feeding schedule. Salads daily(dandelion greens,pepper,carrot,squash,hibiscus,squash flower, occasional berries). Roaches twice a week. Calcium three times a week and vitamin once a week. He used to be feed a lot less and more at each feeding with large insect meals. His stools used to be large and firm and full of insect shells with solid urates(basically how they should look), now there small, sloppy, and loose and sometimes have mucus in them. More like a few solid pieces in liquid. Is this normal? he also went from 636 to 651g in the week and a half that I've been feeding him like this. And at 19.5 inches this is more than I would like. What should I do?

Check the water content of the vegs you feeding , vegs very high in water content will cause watery poos.
https://www.completecritter.com/vegetables.html
A change in diet will do the same.
A GIT parasitic infection will cause this too.
Better off giving a small feed of insects each day before the salad/veg , some insects are quite high in water content , this can result in watery poos.
https://www.completecritter.com/feeder-insects.html
This is what I believe is the best guide around for setting up your ADULT dragon's feeding and supp schedule and setting up the diet :
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074

LouieLizard

Original Poster
claudiusx":1c099a99 said:
Does he also have a basking light that produces visible light, or is it just the uvb and the CHE?

Diet changes often cause irregular stools, i'd just ride it out for a bit longer and see if they firm up.
How many roaches are you giving him at those twice a week feedings?

-Brandon
His normal basking light is a Zoo Med Spot Lamp. it burned out so the CHE is temporary. the spot lamp had UVA which I guess makes a difference because he hasn't been interested in food since it burned out.

LouieLizard

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":36bbdyee said:
LouieLizard":36bbdyee said:

Check the water content of the vegs you feeding , vegs very high in water content will cause watery poos.
https://www.completecritter.com/vegetables.html
A change in diet will do the same.
A GIT parasitic infection will cause this too.
Better off giving a small feed of insects each day before the salad/veg , some insects are quite high in water content , this can result in watery poos.
https://www.completecritter.com/feeder-insects.html
This is what I believe is the best guide around for setting up your ADULT dragon's feeding and supp schedule and setting up the diet :
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074
Thanks! That last source is actually the one that I use. The insect page doesn't say anything about roaches and that's his main feeder. :banghead: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom