Week one and ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

blazblu82

Original Poster
I called the lps that I bought Izik from and explained to them what I was dealing with. They thought tank parameters were fine. They were clueless about izik's behavior and his decreasing appetite. They want me to bring him back and observe him for a day to see if he reacts differently there.. The owner hatched and raised this dragon at his store claims all of the other from the same batch fine. He also put out the offer to Izik for a different bd. If I go that route, I may get an adult. I might find the husbandry easier on an older dragon.

Anyways, Izik ate 4 crickets in 30 minutes (2 at a time) and went back to hiding on the cool side. He never moved from the cool side when lights came. He also had a bit of an attitude when I covered him and tried to pick him up.

I am completely puzzled by all of this.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Older dragons are so much easier and cooler in general. We just got a 3 year old female and she is huge, fat and amazing. Nothing bothers her and she will watch TV with us and not budge.

That being said, that's awesome you are able to take Izik back and let the breeder figure it out. :blob8:

blazblu82

Original Poster
Today, I concluded that Izik could be dehydrated. His lack of appetite and lack of bowels suggest this. I can get him to drink from his snout, but he becomes agitated anytime my finger nears his face (although it may have been early morning moodiness). I will be getting a eye-dropper or feeding syringe to water him with then switch to misting once I get carpet installed (today hopefully). I am still mulling around the idea of swapping Izik for an adult. These youngsters seem rather fragile and their feeding schedules are rather hectic. I had hoped that things would be easier than this; however, I still want to raise a dragon.

I sincerely hope that if i decide to swap for an adult, that this community does not flame me for it. The sole purpose of doing the swap is so Izik would get the care he needs by an experienced handler.

Cheers

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
No chance anyone would flame you for trading the dragon for an older one. Honestly, you have to find the right pet for you and you're obviously giving this serious thought. I don't see how anyone could fault you for it. It is so much better to realize that you may need something less time-consuming to take care of, or something less fragile, rather than keep it and struggle.

warnisha

Juvie Member
I would certainly hope no one would flame you for that....you are doing what you think is best for the dragon. The fact that you realize it could be too much is a HUGE thing in showing how much you truly care about your animals! Finding an animal that fits your family is also a huge part in being a responsible owner. Sometimes we realize it is too much so rather than having the animal suffer we arrange for a setter situation! I think it is a good thing! And it sounds like you are really going out and trying to do all you can for this baby but it could just be the wrong fit! Please let us know how it goes! They are truly amazing pets! And so loveable! Babies are way harder than the adults I agree!

blazblu82

Original Poster
An update on Izik,

Yes, I still have him! He made a good turn-around this morning. I got him drinking water off his snout before leaving for class. I stopped by Petco to get some carpet, a heat emitter bulb, and a spray bottle. Got the carpet installed, sprayed down Izik some, left to go get a few dubia roaches for him to try, and found a nice dark green stool underneath his basking spot. He also loves the dubia's!. I only had six the LPS let me have for free. Guess, I am going to start breeding the guys. If Izik stays on the dubia's as staple, I will be very happy. For now, the plan to swap for an adult is on hold.

Does anyone here feed their dragon dubia's from a slick dish? That will be my plan, find a large, slick dish, dump some in, and let him eat when he wants. They are a little faster than I imagined and a pain in the butt to get off my fingers. Any hoot, my feelings from before are diminishing.

He still wants to run from me when I try to pick him up. Once in my hand, he seems relaxed.

Cheers

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
WOW so he is a fan of dubia! Nice - they are super easy to raise and cleaner than crickets. Yes a 'slick' ceramic glazed dish will work well and keep the dubia from climbing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom