waxworms make wax moths... oh yeah... help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got wax worms for my babies for a treat a couple weeks ago. There were some cocoons in there, I put them in a seperate container and kindof forgot about them. Well today I was cleaning up my room and found the container and I have a moth.

Now what? Can I feed the moths to my beardies? I don't really don't want more waxworms at the moment...
theres 10-15 more cocoons...

ubergnomie

Original Poster
Now that I'm looking through the container of waxworms there are a lot more in coccons/ in the process of making cocoons...

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn't feed the moths to your beardie. Its unfortunate that you don't want more worms, because I have read, somewhere, that they are easy to breed.

MAJ

Hatchling Member
For those that wish to try breeding them, it is easy (as NegativeCreep said). Instructions can be found at http://www.exotic-pets.eu/waxworms.php as well as at a number other sites that can be easily Googled. Be warned... as a fatty treat, one generation of worms will be far more than you will want to feed any single beardie.

If you don't want to breed them, and you don't know of anyone else interested in breeding them, please destroy the moths. Do not release them:
a) Waxworms and waxmoths are major pests to beehives and beekeepers. The worms will tunnel through honeycombs in search of their favourite food (honey) and do major damage. Don't release them, especially if you are aware of any beekeepers or apiaries in your area.
b) Domestically grown insects can have significantly different resistances and susceptibilities to disease than local populations. If the waxworm is local to your area, Please don't risk messing with the local populations. If they are not endemic to your area, don't introduce them (see item A above).

Seven65

Juvie Member
NegativeCreep":50321 said:
I wouldn't feed the moths to your beardie. Its unfortunate that you don't want more worms, because I have read, somewhere, that they are easy to breed.
They're too high in fat to be a staple so breeding probably wouldn't be practical. I heard of people feeding their dragons superworm cocoons as treats, try that maybe? I couldn't see what would be wrong with feeding them the moths either, but don't take my word for it because I wouldn't know.

Alix1378

Hatchling Member
i am starting to get moths too... i may follow what that site says an give the extras to the localpet shop they are pretty cool with local dragon breeders an fish breeders an dog breeders an leo gecho breeders an corn snake breeders an... ill stop. but the point i was tryin to make is that ive only seen them with waxworms 1 time... an i have them :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom