Waving???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Today i was typing a papar in my room and i look up at my dragon and i see him waving at me multiple times... he would also puff up his beard really quick and then let it go and then do it again multiple times... any ideas what this means.

Taegrin

How old is he? Is there another dragon with him?

Beardie waving is a normal behaviour, especially in younger dragons. It's basically like saying, "Hi, I'm a beardie!" It's really quite cute; he might just be trying to get your attention.

Uhhh... Archaeon never really puffed his beard up before today but it's possible he's either proving that it's his domain, or he's trying to impress you, one or the other. That, or he's stretching it out.

silverblade760

Original Poster
he'll be four months this week and no he's my only dragon... I did however recently change his enclosure. I took out the newspaper and put in cage carpet, i also gave him a new basking rock and i changed his UVB from a ESU to a reptisun10

Taegrin

That's very possible too. Archaeon kind of just waved at his rock and such.
Maybe the change inspired him to do so. He's probably just like, "Oh jeez, new place, gotta make sure everything knows who I am!" :p

In any case, the waving is definitely all okay.
I'm not too sure about the puffing up myself since I haven't really experienced it, so I'll let someone more knowledgeable let you know about that one.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
whaaat? Thats not what i have understood/read/been told what waving means. Ive heard it is a sign of submission, usually a characteristic that females (not being sexist) exhibit.
"The bearded dragon stands on three legs and waves one of its forelimbs in a slow circular pattern. One function of arm waving seems to be species recognition. Arm waving is also used to show submission. A small bearded dragon responds with arm waving when confronted with a larger, more dominant bearded dragon. Females also arm wave to avoid aggression from males, especially if the male is head bobbing. "
At least thats what i thought. And it makes sense, that if your beardy felt threatened for any reason it would puff up for defense, and then show submission too.
Heres the website i pulled the quote from
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Inlandbeardeddragon.cfm

Taegrin

Oh, well... They don't really have anything to submit to if there isn't another beardie there.
So maybe he is submitting to himself, or to you. Is there anything you've done with your room or your self that he might be cautious of?

silverblade760

Original Poster
no i haven't done a thing lol... i actually just give him or now maybe a her (crap now i need a new name for him/her lol) his space and wait for him to open up to me

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
It is generally recognized as a gesture of submission, but who really knows? I've read about people's beardies who wave to their crickets right before eating them! Because you've recently made some changes to his enclosure, it's possible that he's just trying to reassure himself.

slantedii

Hatchling Member
Jasper's Mom":9c0c9 said:
It is generally recognized as a gesture of submission, but who really knows? I've read about people's beardies who wave to their crickets right before eating them! Because you've recently made some changes to his enclosure, it's possible that he's just trying to reassure himself.
lolololololololololololololol...omfg, i was rolling on the floor when i saw that. God i wish i cud see that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom