Watson's First Fake Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
rdoyle":szow1j5a said:
Wow I have some of that glue can you us a paint bush enstead of the spray bottle
I don't see why not!! Just make sure you get it into all the cracks and crevices! :D If you have somewhere like an "Everything's $1" store around they have some spray bottles that work great and at a dollar you can toss afterwards!! I'm sure a paint brush would work equally as fine though.

markbacigalupo

Original Poster
Sorta Updated:

Attempted to start grouting yesterday. Was trying to make the first, more watered down batch with sanded grout but could not for the life of me get it to mix. Going to pick up some nonsanded today or tomorrow. This happen to anyone else?

markbacigalupo

Original Poster
Hey guys, sorry I'm slow on the updates. Just finished my second layer of grout. Think I'll end up doing 4-5 total. Whats everyone think? Also, getting the nonsanded definitely helped, and now that I have the sanded as well I'll mix it in for my last layer.

IMG_20111023_141758.jpg

Now, is there a preferred type of foam, or can almost any foam be used as it will be covered with the grout and glue slurry anyway? I have access to foam we use to ship our aircraft parts in (a denser styrofoam) and was looking into making custom perches for Cooper.

Also, how is heat retention compared to real rocks? I ask because I quite often find Cooper asleep on the rocks in her home, as they seem to hold heat from the lamp longer that anything else does.

Latex paint is safe for the fixtures? And you can add stains/dyes to the grout before you apply it?

Seems that you all are applying heavy coats of grout. Would it be better to get the initial shape more close to final shape and then apply thinner coats? Or would it be beneficial heat-retention wise to use the heavier coats? I ask not to hijack this build thread, but to possibly inject some ideas/reasonings for doing things in certain ways. I think you all are doing great builds, and would like to emulate your rock formations. Keep at it, others are watching/learning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom