Warmth, Digestion, all that...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
This seems to be a "health" thing :)

Go ahead and look at Asheville, NC on the radar. We have a massive cell to the northwest, and then Hurricane Lee is to the south. Screw this weather.

Anyway --

I know that dragons need higher temps... eh, 85-95-100 to properly digest protein. HOWEVER - should we lose power (it's not that far fetched), can she still digest a salad? The high temperatures will be around 68* for the next few days. Not superb for dragons. If we DO lose it, I will sleep on the sofa (the only place I don't move when I sleep - I do it every now and then for my back) and she will sleep on my chest.

Can a dragon be alright on just a salad for a few days? Because if I don't have the power, I can't feed her supers or crickets - she won't digest them properly.

Thank you - I am also open to any precautions.

tfas

I don't think it will be a problem for a little while. Do you have a desk lamp you could put her under? They produce alot of heat.

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
We have power now. Just talking about if we lose it. Then no desk lamp either. It won't get below 68* though.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Only if it is battery operated :) She is worried about if the power goes out.

We have those warm packs for hands and feet...they get very warm and will keep her very warm but as you say, I still would not do live bugs unless it is worms, they would be OK IF you use the heat packs and a plastic bin. The heat packs can get to 135° surface temp so it will warm a bin nicely. *However*.....she would NOT want to stay in a small plastic bin for long LOL

We will do this when we need to and just put our dragon in to warm up every couple of hours.

Your dragon is grown, yes? So she can be out with cooler temps for longer periods :)

Sherri

EmilyRussom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes, she's about a year and four months.

She can sleep on my chest at night for warmth :) It'll just be 68*. I have some MacGuyver stuff rigged for winter.

Just hoping a salad will be OK to digest without the hotter temps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom