Want to get it right this time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinamine

Hi

I got a new beardie female last year. She was 2 years old and gravid when I got her. She laid 17 eggs. On the advice of the people at our local reptile store, we set up a fishtank heater incubator (we can't get a proper incubator). We had the eggs in a tupperware with damp vermiculite. We stay in Durban, South Africa, and in summer, the temperatures get as high as 33 - 35 C, so we put the eggs in an airconditioned room. There was some temperature fluctuation and long story short, the eggs went green and smelt bad. Before we threw them out, I opened one up and there was a perfect little baby inside, but dead

Izzy has been staying with my 2 males (who have always lived together) all through winter. They started mating a few weeks ago and last night she laid 19 eggs. We have them in the same incubator set up but in containers with holes in the lids. The fishtank heater is set at 30C and the temperature in the incubator is at 25C, humidity at 85%. I know this is low but I am scared of cooking them! Is this ok - will they just take longer to hatch or will they die? Is there anything else we should be doing that we're not? I feel so bad that the babies died last time and I don't want to kill them again.

They are all fertile, all in vermiculite spot-side up. Last time we candled quite late along and saw the little tails moving so maybe that killed them and not the temp changes? I'm not candling at all this time!!

Any advice please!

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
77 degree is a little low and it will take longer for them hatch but you should be fine!! Just make sure the vermiculite is damp and you keep humidity at or around where you are now!! To much humidity and you will form mold!! Good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom