Want to do a double viv...need some suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac3j0k3r

Okay so I got the two new beardies from repticon and for now they are doing fine in a 55 gallon long aquarium...BUT...I know that chances are I'm going to have to separate them when they get a little older if not sooner so I figured I'd go ahead and get a jump on their "apartments". I want to do the vivs ontop of each other vs. side by side like some I have seen and have the best space for them both..so does anybody know anyplace for layouts on a double viv??I'm open to all sugestions lol. I have been googling for a while and have very little results so if anybody has any websites with pictures of double vivs or anything I can kinda go by that.

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
Well the main thing with doing a vertical double viv is that you need to leave room
between them for the lower enclosure's lighting fixtures to have room.

It's just me personally, but I think I'd go with just building 2 normal enclosures
by the standard crossfire plans and then get one of those strong wire shelf setups
with multiple shelves and set the enclosures on different shelf levels.

That would make it a lot easier to construct and to get the proper distance separation,
as well as leaving everything more portable if needed.

Soulwind":1vzakeg9 said:
Well the main thing with doing a vertical double viv is that you need to leave room
between them for the lower enclosure's lighting fixtures to have room.

If you mount the lights inside this problem would be eliminated would it not? You would just need a port to run any wires out. I am going to be doing a double viv one on top of the other and I have been having the same problem with layout so I just made my own diagram...still am not sure about materials.

If I am wrong that you still need space between even if you mount them inside then excuse me but it just seem it would be easier to do it that way.

ac3j0k3r

Original Poster
Yeah I was going to mount mine inside too...I think you still need a small gap in between the vivs as a ventilation thing to let some of the rising heat from the bottom viv to escape though...did you make your plans on the computer or hand draw them? lol I'll probably just have to come up with something on my own cause I can't find any decent plans that I like :roll: lol

ac3j0k3r

Original Poster
lol niiiice ...well if you ever do get them online *wink, wink, nudge nudge* you should TOTALLY let me know! :wink: or at least pictures after you've built yours :)

This is an old one I found. I will be doing something basic like this. I made the image on the paint program on my pc.
The only difference is I will use melamine and not wood. I also could have labeled it all but the blue areas on the back are vent and the green dots are handles the grey area on the back left side is UVB right side is non UVB florescent light The lights on the right are the yellow things coming down from the top heat is on the right on the left side just has normal low watt housebulbs for light.the little blue dots on the corners are outlets for cords.little grey thing on the black line in the middle is a lock...pretty much anything I could think of needing I put in.

ac3j0k3r

Original Poster
you have some awesome paint skills lol I don't like the paint on the new windows I liked it better on the old one. That viv is pretty awesome! What dimensions are you going to make it...just the standard or are you going to make it a little bigger?

I am going to make it 6ft long (on the fence about it I might make it 7ft)
2ft wide and 20 inches tall. If I loose the beardie I am trying to save I may cut out the bottom one or keep it for a uro or something. I also am thinking about making them to where I can separate them so that they are easier to move when need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom