Wadewin the Resilient

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure the people around me are about ready to choke me so that I shut up about my beardie, so keeping a Beardie Tales "diary" seems prudent to getting my ramble on without driving my friends and colleagues to homicide. :) If I'm doing anything wrong, please feel free to correct me! I just want my little boy to be happy and healthy. :D

full

Name: Wadewin, aka Wade
Namesake: Wade Winston Wilson
Date of birth: 17 May 2015
Adopted: 15 November 2015

Lighting: 18" Reptisun 10.0 UVB + ZooMed 150 watt basking bulb
Enclosure: 36" wide x 17" tall x 18.5" deep with two slate tiles, a shallow water dish, a food dish, a couple of rocks for climbing on/over, a crocodile skull for more climbing fun, and colourful backdrops on three sides. I'm waiting to get wood for climbing on until I next visit my parents, as they've got various selections waiting for me, so it seemed better to bake and use those rather than dropping like $50 buying them online and not being able to pick the shapes. :)
Temperature: 98º-105ºF on the basking side, 80º-90ºF on the cool side using both a wall thermometer (it came on the tank) and sporadic checks with an infrared gun. The lights are on from about 7am until 6:30 or 7pm, at which point I take him out to hang out and socialize and clean his cage, and then I turn the lights on again when I put him back for another hour or two.
Feed: 5-15 dubia roaches daily or every other day, crickets daily; salad of mustard greens and collard greens daily; a little bit of sporadic fruit (oranges, apples, strawberries) or kale every other day
Supplements: Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin with Vitamin D3 + Zoo Med Calcium with Vitamin D3 - mixed with his salad or crickets
Loves: Cuddling, digging, roaches.
Hates: Being woken up, being put back in his tank, being in the bath for more than two minutes, and apparently, fresh salad. :\

full

Personality:
- Like mother like son: he hates being woken up early, he hates hydrating, he loves to snuggle my neck, and proteins are his favourite thing.
- I haven't seen him go black beard or hiss yet, but every morning when I turn on his lights, he comes out of his hideyhole, lifts his head, and goes a little grey at me, the sulky thing. :p Every night when I put him back in his tank after cuddling and hanging out, he goes grey at me again before eating dinner and slinking off to his corner to sleep.

I wonder if anyone keeps multiple enclosures for their beardie in different locations? One of the big appeals of Wade for me was that he liked to stay clinging to people as they wandered about their business day to day, and I definitely wanted one that was well-socialized. He came from a breeder who has kids and other pets, so he's very used to being out and about in bustling activity. Unfortunately, I'm at work eleven hours a day and go away for a weekend or two every month, and when I get home he immediately clambers up my arm and clings to my neck, so I'm worried about him getting bored or lonely. I was thinking of keeping a second tank for him at work (it's been approved by my employer already; I lucked out with a nice, wide cubicle in the very back of the office and nobody to share it with) and a third at my parents' house when I have to go help them; I wouldn't bring him with me to work every day, as I don't want to overtax him, but I was thinking two or three times a week? Does this seem okay, given how sociable he is, or still too much? The breeder thought it would be fine so long as he stays warm, given his particular temperament, but I just wanted to get a second/third/fourth/etc opinion before putting the money and energy into all of that...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They definitely do a bit better at warmer temps. My colony really boomed over the summer. I've found that they tend to not like greens as much as other veges as well.

TeddyLC

Original Poster
Oh, bummer. Yeah, they seem to eat up the cereal just fine, but always leave a lot of the mustard greens. =\ Guess I'll have to start picking up some other veggies, like the squash and celery you mentioned, and experiment to see what works. Celery in particular just always goes bad in my household, so I hate buying it... and onion I'd hesitate to feed them just because I wouldn't want Wade winding up with any in his system, given how toxic it usually tends to be for most animals. I know that onions are under debate for beardies, but I'd rather err on the side of caution there. :p His dietary habits are so inconsistent as it is!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's a good idea to avoid the onion if you're feeding the bugs off. I was just using it to illustrate that they aren't generally picky (and will dig into greens if you wait long enough between feedings). I don't feed off any of the bugs so only take what I have available into consideration rather than the effects on a dragon.

TeddyLC

Original Poster
Ah, gotcha! Yeah, all my bugs except the breeders are meant to be fed off. I've discovered that the nymphs like bananas, but the adults don't. =\ I think carrots, apples, oranges, plain Cheerios, greens, and occasional zucchini will be my go-tos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncook
Top Bottom