Vomiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
This morning it vomited after finally showing interest in food. Yesterday it ate 7 crickets and 5 roaches (extra small)
It had only been eating 2-3 insects a day. Not sure what I need to do if anything? I did hold back this mornings insect feeding. Below I copied a post from last week for more history on my situation. Also, noticed humidity got real high last night around 50 usually stays at 40. I’m getting a dehumidifier for the room it’s in today and adding some more venting.

I am a new beardie owner! Not sure how old or sex, it was 5.5 inch long, 7.6 grams when I got it. I am Having some concerns... I have had it about 5 weeks now. I got from local big box pet store( i know now, not the best choice ). No eating much for 2 weeks now. After about the first two weeks it started eating more insects but only 2 Dubia roaches (size no bigger than space between eyes) per day. It did this for one week then went back to eating 0-2 per week. I tried crickets but nothing. Won’t touch greens. Drinks during bath once a day (started bathing after one week). It had reached a weight as high as 8.6 but then went back down 7.6. I just can’t get it to eat!!!!!

Set up:
Melamine 4x2x2
Sliding glass doors at front
Repti sun 10.0 t8 24inch (closet it can get to it is 5 inch)
50watt basking light
18 inch Florescent at cool side for lighting only
CHE- 60 watt for little extra heat

Temps:
Basking 115-95°F (depending on location)
Hot side 95°F -30% humidity
Mid 90°F- 35% humidity
Cool 85°F - 40% humidity
Night temp gets no lower than 69°F but usually around 72°F

Substrate:
Tile

I run lights for 13 hours( I have read 12-14hr)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Your humidity is fine. Don't worry about it. You really don't need to do anything about that.

How big were the insects in relation to the dragon? Sometimes when the bugs are too big, it gives them trouble and they throw them up. Are you sure it was vomit though and not just a poo that passed quickly?

Was ample time to bask given after the meal? EG. not feeding half an hour before lights out?

Could you post a picture of the dragon and of your setup perhaps?

It's possible that he/she just ate much more at once than it was used to, and the body had trouble with it.

-Brandon

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
claudiusx":21smbe6m said:
Hi there,

Your humidity is fine. Don't worry about it. You really don't need to do anything about that.

How big were the insects in relation to the dragon? Sometimes when the bugs are too big, it gives them trouble and they throw them up. Are you sure it was vomit though and not just a poo that passed quickly?

Was ample time to bask given after the meal? EG. not feeding half an hour before lights out?

Could you post a picture of the dragon and of your setup perhaps?

It's possible that he/she just ate much more at once than it was used to, and the body had trouble with it.

-Brandon

Hey Brandon,

Insects are no bigger than space between eyes.
Saw it vomit, freaked me out. Did this a few minutes after pooping. Poop was slightly wet.
Last insect feeding was 2 hours before lights out.
I will get pics posted today.

-Chris

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
Thanks!

Here are some pics of beardie and viv setup. Hasn’t eaten anything today but is taking water by dropping on nose. Humidity is higher than it has been but may be due to rain today and last night. If I don’t see a change in few days, I was planning on adding more ventilation to the top of viv??

I still need to finish cutting a few pieces of tile to finish flooring and plan on adding some more decor.

- Chris

106735-8022065637.jpg

106735-5411690972.jpg

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3j8p1k22 said:
Does your UVB fixture have a reflector on it?
Karrie

Hey karrie,
I don’t think so? I got the fixture from Home Depot. It had a plastic cover over the bulb, I remove the plastic cover when I installed the 10.0 T8 bulb. Here is a picture of the fixture with the light off so you can see more detail.

106735-3521124516.jpg

Thanks!!
- Chris

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so that is an issue-- first those UVB rays are going every where but to him --- so hes having a hard time digesting his food and absorbing calcium -- you need to replace the fixture --- sorry - they dont seem to make add in reflectors anymore or I have looked all over the internet and cant find them - aquarium stores used to sell them but I havent found a store yet --- you need to either make a reflector out of tin foil and get it put behind the bulb --- or just buy a new one --- here is a website for a fixture w/ reflector https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/thumbnails/295/250/detailed/8/xt5-ho.jpg.pagespeed.ic.z3iAnPjvMi.webp
What does his poop look like? It should firm moist and dark --- the urate firm moist and white --
Karrie

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":nzrw5s4h said:
Ok so that is an issue-- first those UVB rays are going every where but to him --- so hes having a hard time digesting his food and absorbing calcium -- you need to replace the fixture --- sorry - they dont seem to make add in reflectors anymore or I have looked all over the internet and cant find them - aquarium stores used to sell them but I havent found a store yet --- you need to either make a reflector out of tin foil and get it put behind the bulb --- or just buy a new one --- here is a website for a fixture w/ reflector https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/images/thumbnails/295/250/detailed/8/xt5-ho.jpg.pagespeed.ic.z3iAnPjvMi.webp
What does his poop look like? It should firm moist and dark --- the urate firm moist and white --
Karrie

I couldn’t get link to come up. I Found a pic of the sunblaster nano tech, is that something like your talking about. I pretty sure I can make one out of tinfoil. Money is not particularly a problem so if I have to buy another because it’s better than using tinfoil, no problem! I will get on that tomorrow. Anything I need to do or get, I will!

Poop has been a little wet last few times. Small bit of Solid dark poop slight wet, irate has been wet. Today was pretty wet but still had poop formation, urate very wet.

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
Dragonsbeard":2gu43qfb said:
KarrieRee":2gu43qfb said:
Karrie

I couldn’t get link to come up. I Found a pic of the sunblaster nano tech, is that something like your talking about. I pretty sure I can make one out of tinfoil. Money is not particularly a problem so if I have to buy another because it’s better than using tinfoil, no problem! I will get on that tomorrow. Anything I need to do or get, I will!

Poop has been a little wet last few times. Small bit of Solid dark poop slight wet, irate has been wet. Today was pretty wet but still had poop formation, urate very wet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok I just read a post on the General Discussion board Brandon posted about Sunblasters its at the very top of the board it says Do You Use a Sunblaster T 5 fixture --- so w/ that being read I would skip the Sunblaster and get one of these https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/light-heat-and-uvb/light-fixtures.html--- you can pick what you want -- but for now I would skip the Sunblaster for now -- this issue must have just come up cuz I read the posting date and its this month-- it also has the tin foil and how to put it on for fixtures w/ no reflectors --- you can make shift til you replace the one you have up to you
Karrie

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1lsah5t4 said:
Ok I just read a post on the General Discussion board Brandon posted about Sunblasters its at the very top of the board it says Do You Use a Sunblaster T 5 fixture --- so w/ that being read I would skip the Sunblaster and get one of these https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/light-heat-and-uvb/light-fixtures.html--- you can pick what you want -- but for now I would skip the Sunblaster for now -- this issue must have just come up cuz I read the posting date and its this month-- it also has the tin foil and how to put it on for fixtures w/ no reflectors --- you can make shift til you replace the one you have up to you
Karrie

Thank you! Is this the one you talking about? Still could not get link to work.

106550-5246215351.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes that's one there is a zoo med --- copy and paste the link it's a pic of the bulb you need - Reptisun 10.0 tube
Karrie

Dragonsbeard

Original Poster
KarrieRee":q9029vru said:
Yes that's one there is a zoo med --- copy and paste the link it's a pic of the bulb you need - Reptisun 10.0 tube
Karrie

Ok thanks!
It currently has the 10.0t8 24 inch. I just added the tin foil for the moment. Thanks so much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom