Viv too big for baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay hi, never posted on this site before so apologies in advance if I do anything wrong.

Basically, my wonderful old boy passed away a few months ago. It's taken a while but I've been thinking recently that I want to get another one. I loved my time with Dizzee, watching him grow and spending time together. I'm up for doing it all again, because it was a wonderful experience and I like the idea of getting to know an entirely different lizard to make new memories with.

So obviously I still have my boy's viv, it's 3.5 feet long. I know you're not supposed to put little ones in big vivs but I'd very much prefer to avoid buying a smaller one only to transfer to the bigger one after a few months. I was wondering if there's anything I can do with my current viv to make it safer and more suitable for a baby? Such as blocking a section off temporarily until he's grown bigger, or I was just wondering how bad it actually is to have a little one in a big viv. I also need some more detailed advice about the temperatures for babies as it's been incredibly long since Dizzee was a young-un so I need a re-cap of the specs for a baby's viv.

If buying a smaller viv is absolutely 100% necessary I'm willing to, I'd just like to avoid it if possible as it will only end up being thrown away once he's grown out of it and that seems like a waste when I have a perfectly intact viv waiting to be used.

charmander16

Juvie Member
I don't believe claims about vivs being too big. They are born in the wild into an open space 3 million square miles in size. It's not too big...

DizardWizardLizard

Original Poster
charmander16":ou4omzmg said:
I don't believe claims about vivs being too big. They are born in the wild into an open space 3 million square miles in size. It's not too big...
I was thinking it wouldn't really matter, I've just been told before that they can have difficulty finding food and water and stuff but that's why I asked because I didn't really believe it would be that bad for the beardie. It didn't make a lot of sense to me but I wanted to check just in case. But you make a very good point, they're fine in the wild so I can't imagine them having difficulty in a wooden box

charmander16

Juvie Member
Well, there is a small issue here that makes some sense.

If you have a large viv, and you open feed something like crickets in it, then yeah, that can be a problem.

However, if you feed stuff like roaches and Black Soldier Fly Larva in a dish that they can't escape from, then it's no problem.

The issue really is with highly mobile food that can escape from them in a large enclosure, that's true. The solution is just to ensure that their food can't escape. :)

See: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=231135

DizardWizardLizard

Original Poster
charmander16":3mqzxdnm said:
Well, there is a small issue here that makes some sense.

If you have a large viv, and you open feed something like crickets in it, then yeah, that can be a problem.

However, if you feed stuff like roaches and Black Soldier Fly Larva in a dish that they can't escape from, then it's no problem.

The issue really is with highly mobile food that can escape from them in a large enclosure, that's true. The solution is just to ensure that their food can't escape. :)

See: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=231135

Ah, well I read that putting crickets in the fridge for a bit makes them slow, I've never done it before because I never had reason to but would doing that make it a lot easier for the baby to catch them? If so how long do you put them in the fridge without killing them? xD Done it before with waxworms to stop them from going into cocoons

charmander16

Juvie Member
I've never done that, so I'm not sure. My recommendation is to use BSFL and small roaches in an escape proof dish. But, using chilled crickets may work too, I've just never done that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom