Viv to "cool" need more heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

camaro87

I recently got my 75 gal tank all setup for my 18 week old beardie. I have a 100 watt basking light and a 36" reptisun 10.0 fluorescent light. The temp and the warm side is around 80 and the cool side 70-75 imy house is a little on the cooler side this time of year. So I'm thinking of heating a CHE but not sure what wattage and also do the che's need a ceramic clamp lamp? Also is it better to put them in the tank? Or is it fine on the lid? I got ceramic tile as substrate and my beardie just stays under the basking light most of the day, I'll put him on the ground but he'll eventually make his way back up to the basking spot.

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
I have a 75g tank as well (48" x 18" and 22" tall). My basking spot is about 14" from the top of the tank. I'm currently using a 60w house bulb and I am reaching 102 F no problem.

Either that 100w bulb is faulty or your temperature gauge is way off. I couldn't use a 100w as it got up to 120 F. I use a temp gun though, and they are much more accurate than the probe digital thermometers.

Anyways for CHE's. Yes you need a ceramic fixture (home depot/walmart $10). And I would think you do not want it to sit on a screen.

Hope this helps. I'm in the same situation as you, but running a CHE should fix my problem. When I ran a normal 75w bulb, after an hour the cool side of the tank went from 62 to 72. This is for night time anyways, where the slate tile I use got about 10 degrees cooler than the room temperature. During the day with his normal basking spot, my cool side is 75-80.

camaro87

Original Poster
yeh i just checked the temp again and the basking spot seems to be around 110 and 115 cool side is around 74 . i was at the pet store an dthey told me a can't have a CHE bulb inside one one the zoomeds clamp lamps. siad it needs to be in an open cage type fixture?

camaro87

Original Poster
or i was thinking instead of getting a CHE could i get a low mabye 40 watt basking light and out it on the opposite end (cool side) of the tank? just to bring the temps up a wee bit. what do you think?

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
Dragons seem to hate having lights on at night. I even used a black light and my guy woke up and thought it was time to wake up. He started basking and everything.

CHE would be the way to go if you need the extra heat. I am trying putting a towel on the slate, and currently Helios (my beardy) is in a "burrito". My first time trying it with him, so we'll see how long he stays.

camaro87

Original Poster
ah true. well if i get a CHE is it safe to put on top of the screen lid and inside a ceramic clamp light fixture? or should it be in the tank itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom