Viv questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

landoflor

Hatchling Member
ok i have been reading alot lol. i want to make a crossfire viv. butwhat kind of doors make the best viv
Glass
Screen
or Plexi

how do i set it so we can get close to the light?
Alexe has grow queit attached to the hammic any ideas on how to mount it in there?

BeardieBaby69

Hatchling Member
Honestly , I would use glass. I have been reading tales of the beardies scratching at the doors and plexiglass scratches easily and I wouldnt do screen , might be hard to keep temps right. I plan on building a cage too and I will use glass, 1/4 inch thick.

As for the hammock, you can get those plastic 3M hooks and use them, thats what I will do .

Hope this helps, Good Luck!

jargonchipmunk

Juvie Member
almost everyone uses plexi. There is more of a risk of it scratching and of course clouding in time from the lights and heat. I'm having mine built by a friend using tempered glass front doors. More expensive, for sure, but I shouldn't ever have to replace them. The plexi is also a lot easier to actually build the door with if you don't have a glass guy to do the cuts for you. I can't comment on either's ease of everyday use, since mine are still being built, but I'll weigh in on behalf of glass very soon :)

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
I used both. Here is one, okay two ;) with Plexi:
IMG_0042_1.jpg

This is Orions. I built this last month.

IMG_0061-1.jpg

This is Geminis, did this in a week.
Both of these I used plexi. One is on sliding runners, the other is a cabinet style open.

Now this is Yardleys, an old china cabinet, with original glass door:
IMG_0046.jpg

So there you are.
Janie.
Oh and if you need a link for runners, let me know, I have the one I ordered from.

drewdizzo

I have used acrylic (plexi) in all my vivs. I like it because it is lighter than glass and you never have to worry about it cracking or chipping. I often pull out the doors on mine to clean and don't have to worry about them breaking. For the hammock I would use teacup hooks... you will find them at a michael's or Joann or any other craft store. They are far less bulky than other things.

Roscoe

My viv has glass sliding doors, and sure enough putting them in placed the corner got cracked :oops:
Both have positives and negatives, Glass WILL break if your not careful but your beardie will never be able to scratch it,
Glass also keeps the heat in better.
Plexi isnt as expensive but is scratchable. Although it wont cost that much to replace if it does
Take a pick :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom