Viv pics only thread

smaug85

Hatchling Member
kirby":0334d said:
smaug85":0334d said:
Just a quick question- my beardie is currently 8" in length. He lives in a vivarium 60x60x60cm.
I am just a wee bit concerned about the size of it. The pet shop recommended it (as i am pretty new to the whole beardies thing)
Do you think I should've gotten a bigger one to start off with?

Yes, petshops sell you a smaller tank, knowing you WILL need to buy a bigger one, they may try and pull the trick on you again and sell you a 'slightly' bigger one..

your best going out and buying/making a 4x2x2 foot viv. this will last him throughout adult size.

Thanks for the advice kirby... feel free to stamp "CHUMP" on my forehead lol.
I hate it when shops do that sort of thing! :banghead:
I think I'll just ignore the shop staff next time I'm there (probably to get a leopard gecko if anything)

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hello everyone, i left a post here earlier but i was in a hurry so i couldnt share my situation. i have a handi-capped bearded dragon i saved from a pet-shop. the store owner thought he was too far gone and was going to die, i thought otherwise :x

i need to design a "special needs" facility just for him so i drew up some blue-prints. heres what we're dealing with:

1.jpg
i didn't know whether or not he was going to make it, but i kept hoping.

4.jpg
he healed up quite nicely! isn't he beautiful?!

heres my progress so far. i'm pretty proud but i'll reserve that felling untill AFTER i hear some feed-back.

newcagesetup.jpg

this was my original blue-print. many people were worried he would fall off the ledge or the bottom half of the ramp(i forgot to put a safety window there.

closeup.jpg

this is after the saftey improvements. i made the short guard-rails into tall plate windows. i also added one to the lower half of the ramp.

newcagesetupcopy.jpg

this is how i was planning to arrange the reptisun 10.0 and heat lamp. it seems like a good position; he can bask under BOTH bulbs from 14" away or go "up-stairs" :)mrgreen:) and be 6-8" away from both. he can also choose to be away from the heat but still recieve UV on both levels.

let me know if you think this is any good. i really do value your input, EVERYONE!

SPECS. this is a 40 gallon tank. each "L" shaped area is about 15"X18"(excluding the ramp area). my dragon is only 8-9" long, this wont be too cluttered will it?

keep in mind, he has special needs: no claws or fingers to climb with :cry:, so he MUST have a ramp to get higher up.

*EDIT* some people with far more experience have talked some sense into me :silent: . i have decided to go with a far simpler plan for safety reasons, but hopefully it gave someone an idea for their more agile beardie(take the protective glass off the ledges). my beardie cant climb up or jump off ledges but yours probably can!

phrack3r

wow i love the viv's some many great ideas i have gotten and ill be posting mine in the next week when i start tomorrow :] cant wait for the finished product and to get mine up here :]

norbertbd

Hatchling Member
This is my modified crossfire design with bifold doors and side windows. I was able to used thinner plexi because I wasn't doing sliding doors. So that kind of evened out the extra cost of the wood for the front doors. I think I still didn't spend more than $175, but I supposed I should officially total it sometime. I used oak veneer plywood because this is in the family room. When I save up more money there will be a matching base to store supplies, etc.

24347ir.jpg

2me4j6h.jpg
w/Norbert hanging out at his favorite spot.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hey everyone, now that i have the setup pretty much finalized i can post pictures.

at first i made it way too steep for him.

up2.jpg

up3.jpg

i redesigned it like this.

up7.jpg

up6.jpg

realm.jpg

this thread is cool, so many awesome pics :wink: .

PuffPuff11

Hatchling Member
Well all of the pics look great... I am jealous, as soon as a get one set up I will post pics (not for a few months)

jscott im glad to see you got yours set up, is the little guy managing to get up the ramp?

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
he can make it up and down the ramp amazingly well. it takes only a little effort to get up there, he has to rest before he reaches the top. when he goes down the ramp he sometime takes it slow. other times he flails his arms like crazy and slides down :mrgreen: . he seems to enjpy both the high and low sides. just the other day he was a trying to climb up on his smaller habba hut, and about a week ago he was trying to climb his X-Large one!

VenomPrx

Hatchling Member
Picture020.jpg

Heres my 75 gallon, the tank was free from a friend, i made its base from the stand to my dads old architectural plotter, which is intensely useful for the fact that it has casters on the bottom, and was free, as his plotter had previously broken. its still not quite done, as i still need to add oak around the bottom to hide the two end wood support beams. everything in the tank save for the plastic bush, which i made from two smaller ones from Micheal's glued to a scrap piece of oak (i tried to use something that had the effect similar to that of spinifex, found naturally in dragon territory. while spinifex is less bushy, i think it looks decent) . the "driftwood" was a bloody sweaty story in itself, i initially in October found this one large piece of maple that was fairly freshly felled, i left it in my garage to dry out for a month or so, then i stripped it, and that was one of the most tedious, painful, and bloody annoying tasks i have ever had to do. once stripped, i had placed it whole in rexes old cage, with rope wrapped around it as it was a bit slippery. after a while, i took it out, not wanting to deal with cleaning the rope anymore, so i got rid of the rope and left the branch out in the dead of winter. last moth, i decided it looked quite nice weathered, however one particular portion had a piece of metal lodged in it, so i hand cut out that section (maple is a decently hard wood, and this was a thick piece...needless to say, it took a while.) after a rubdown with some sand, i baked the two pieces and Rex loves them. he also loves sleeping and lounging on the bush, as i suppose its soft and cushion like. originally i has aspired to do a built in rock wall, however that was a RESOUNDING failure, and so i instead opted for the simplistic, a craft paper background. IMO it looks better that an aquarium background, just because its simple. rather than gaudy like a previous aquarium backing i had used. i think the end result is quite attractive, as far as a fairly simple "stuff from the woods" cage :mrgreen:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom