Vitamin D3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
So I have read a lot of comments about some owners give their bearded dragon calcium with D3 and some don't because of a certain light. I'm very confused on what my dragons need calcium wise. Both have calcium with D3 2 to 3 times a week. Both UVB lights are the long tubes zoomed repti sun 10.0 and are fixed to the inside of their tanks

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If the tubes are a T5HO 10%UVB or higher, and located so the dragon in EACH VIV can get to within 10 inches of the tube (which is in a reflector hood or has a slip on reflector behind/above it) , vitD3 fortified calcium is not necessary , as the dragons can produce all the natural vitD3 from the UVB they are receiving when basking .

Infact , giving vitD3 fortified calcium can result in serious health issues due to overdosing with oral vitD3 (Hypervitaminosis D3) , and r3tard the uptake and conversion of oral calcium and cause hypercalciumia as a result , refer to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=233592

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3n6kjlah said:
If the tubes are a T5HO 10%UVB or higher, and located so the dragon in EACH VIV can get to within 10 inches of the tube (which is in a reflector hood or has a slip on reflector behind/above it) , vitD3 fortified calcium is not necessary , as the dragons can produce all the natural vitD3 from the UVB they are receiving when basking .

Infact , giving vitD3 fortified calcium can result in serious health issues due to overdosing with oral vitD3 (Hypervitaminosis D3) , and r3tard the uptake and conversion of oral calcium and cause hypercalciumia as a result , refer to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=233592
The light fixtures I got from walmart and they do not have the reflectors in it. Someone told me that I could use foil and that would work just as good as the reflectors

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Foil is better than nothing but aren't nearly as effective as a high quality, polished reflector. If the fixture is an under counter style from walmart then it's likely a T8 fixture. I suggest having this at about 6'' above the basking area (no further than 8'') for best results. With these bulbs even with a good reflector I recommend using a calcium supplement with D3. I would dust all of the bugs you offer in a light, even coat of supplement. Shaking them in a small cup with the supplement usually works well.

Ashleymthornton1990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":21p01oda said:
Foil is better than nothing but aren't nearly as effective as a high quality, polished reflector. If the fixture is an under counter style from walmart then it's likely a T8 fixture. I suggest having this at about 6'' above the basking area (no further than 8'') for best results. With these bulbs even with a good reflector I recommend using a calcium supplement with D3. I would dust all of the bugs you offer in a light, even coat of supplement. Shaking them in a small cup with the supplement usually works well.
I believe your right about the T8. It is an under the counter fixture. I will continue using D3 regular dusting and adjust my lights. I believe they are around 10 inches away. But I will double check and adjust them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ashleymthornton1990":1v8n63pn said:
kingofnobbys":1v8n63pn said:

The light fixtures I got from walmart and they do not have the reflectors in it. Someone told me that I could use foil and that would work just as good as the reflectors

Aluminium foil has at best a reflectivity of 86% , if smooth . A lot less crumpled (will scatter light now than it'll reflect it).

I suggest a visit to the local hardware shop to buy some thin polished stainless steel sheet , bend it into an approximate parabola shape and this will tend to focus as well as reflect the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom