Vet visit for Aztec Update:

Status
Not open for further replies.

surgerising

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok I see what your saying so with time he should recover the muscles needs to poo on his own and maybe use his legs again?

Next question, could the impaction have moved into the pelvic area where I can not feel it nor help move it along. Could this be what is causing the buldging at the vent? today I have had him in and out of the bath so many times trying to get him to poo, and all I was able to get was a very small amount of liquid, not actual poo. AFter the other rescue I had I am aware that while on baby food they tend to poo almost exactly what they ate.

Any other ideas? anythig else I can do to help him? I did add a drop of mineral oil to his baby food today just in case it is still needed. I am just so worried about this little one.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I think hes the one that pooed today for you that you took a video of and posted it in general. How is he doing after he pooped> I noticed he used his back legs to get out of his bath.

surgerising

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Again I have to work the early shift. I am so worried...the little one just did not do well yesterday. He blackbearded almost constant all day. I mean a full black beard from chin to shoulder.I had never seen one so young blackbeard till I brought him home. I have no access to the computer while at work and am hoping that once I get home there will be better news to report. He only ate a total of 1.5 ccs of food yesterday and did not open his eyes much at all, thoughthat could bedue to his light. I know blackbearding is a sign of distress wether it be they dont like the setup or in pain, a million reasons to blackbeard. My fear is that he is in pain and I am prolonging his suffering. Is there any way to tell, other than the backbeard? I am trying everything I can and its breaking my heart. I keep trying to remind myself they improve very slow, but he seems to be getting worse. And on top of that he had one of the bad mega rays so it has been boxed up to send back and now that leaves him with out uvb till the replacement gets here.Remember he has spent his whole life without uvb as far as I know. I have an older reptisun but 1 couldnt get him close enough to it and 2 its probably to old to do any good, I kept it around as an additional light source in an emergency.

For everyone who has said a little prayer for this babyTHANK YOU! We still need all the prayers and good vibes we can get.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor little thing, I know you are trying very hard.
Yes, it is a possibility that the impaction has gotten to the vent area. You cannot feel any lumps or anything at all then right now?
Is his beard still black right now? He is definitely in distress. There really is nothing else you can do but continue to treat his symptoms, & give him extra time & attention as you already are.
Monitor him closely, & keep us posted on him. I am pulling for him.
Continue to give a drop of mineral oil with his food, daily, as well as that should help out if it is an impaction he is having trouble passing right now.

Tracie

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I agree with Tracie you are doing all you can. Im sure they will get better soon. I'll be praying for the little one. Our first beardie was impacted so bad she couldnt use her back legs. People from this site helped me save her. After she pooped finally it took 2 days to recover and she was back to her old self. Thats when we learned about good food and the proper lighting. We learned alot. *hugs* i hope everything goes well.

surgerising

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Evening update...still no poo, and hes only ate about 2 ccs total today. I have been mixing turkey with squash adding the mineral oil and calcium. Even if only 2 ccs a day and no poo the little bugger ought to be full. I bath hi often and massage his tummy, no lumps nothing. I am so perplexed. At times he seems stronger as he tries to scoot around but then it fades fast and he is limp. He is still blackbearding and even his top half is now darker. We have played with his temps in order to try and make him more comfortable, we just cant seem to make it easier for him. I am so worried. I keep telling myself no matter what the outcome is he has to know we love him and are trying everything we can to make him better.

BTW it is really hard to massage this tiny little guy. ohh yes and we are weighing him daily and even though food in and no poo out hes not gaining any weight. gonna try adding benebac to his food in the am and see if his appetite picks up and then maybe we can get him to poo. Any other ideas?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am beginning to lean towards an injury. I am fairly sure that most impactions would have passed by now. Unless the obstruction is higher up in the stomach to intestinal area that he just cannot push through & it is causing a lot of pressure towards the lower intestines.
If you absolutely cannot feel any lumps, & I know that has to be difficult on such a tiny dragon I realize!
Does he wince or respond if you touch his back? Have there been any changes in the curve of his spine or does there seem to be anymore swelling on the muscular or soft tissues of the back that you can see?

Tracie

Emeraldcoast

Juvie Member
He is probably fearful when you "swish" him around. He does not know what is going on.

can anyone who has dealt with impaction before tell me if it will cause them to be totally limp in the rear half?

I have never dealt with impaction. I do know that it can interfere with their rear legs.
Have you tried a tiny amount of olive oil to help moves things out? Make sure he stays hydrated, as this too will help.

"his top half is now darker"

This concerns me. I would take the baby to a vet. Whatever the problem is, it sounds like it is has progressed enough for a vet check to be necessary.

Time is very important here. Do not hesitate for long. If you try the following ideas, and they DON'T WORK, get your baby to a vet, preferably a reptile vet, as soon as possible! The fact that the legs are not working properly is a bad sign. The impaction, if that is what it is, interferes with legs by putting pressure on the nerves. The longer the pressure lasts, the better the chances are that the damage can be permanent.

ANY vet can help with swabbing the vent area, etc. Make sure you get a FULL FECAL EXAM done as soon as possible. A basic exam looks for parasites ONLY. A FULL fecal exam looks for parasites AND bacteria as well (such as aspergillis and salmonella). It may be impaction, or a gut load of parasites. This is why it is soooo important not to wait too long. Either condition puts your baby's lfe at risk.

Hydration is important. Try with a plastic syringe (w/o the needle) to give a little water. you could, perhaps, dilute the applesauce with water. You can coax the mouth open by inserting the syringe thru the lips at the rear of the jaws. When the mouth opens, try to put a little water near the back of the tongue, NOT AT THE BACK OF THE THROAT.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO ACCIDENTALLY MAKE YOUR BABY ASPIRATE THE WATER INTO THE LUNGS.

During baths, gently massage the tummy TOWARD the vent. Repeat this a few times a day, if necessary.

You can use a tiny amount of olive oil to help move things along.

You can use baby food applesause, also. Although apples are an appetite suppressant, a little should not hurt your baby at this point.

Using latex or non latex gloves, hold your baby with one hand in the vertical position. Inspect the vent area.

You can GENTLY squeeze the areas on both sides of the vent to try and expel any fecal matter that may be present. You can use a cotton swab.

Is there a mucous plug sticking out? If so, it is safe to GENTLY remove it. IF it WON'T REMOVE, consult a vet.

You can use a cotton swab to clean the vent area.

Take a swab and gently clean the inside of the vent out. DON'T go far or deep inside.
Do this a few times. Let your baby de-stress in between cleanings. Repeat.
Is the swab coming out clean or dirty?

If dirty, continue a few swabs. DISCONTINUE if it is clean, or blood or suspicious discharge is seen. CONSULT A REPTILE VET IMMEDIATELY!

Good luck.

Take care.
Emerald

surgerising

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Emerald, thanks for your input all advice and input are very welcome.

We have consulted with our local rep vet and he has suggsted just keeping up with supportive care. He probably isnt the best vet aroud but he doesnt think there is much that can be done at this point with him being so small.Supportive care and making sure his husbandry is right is what he says. We will see, I am afraid hubby had his temps too low while I was gone yesterday and that may have contributed to his being "dark". I worked 12 hours yesterday and hubby was afraid he would dehydrate since I was not home to give baths, so he moved his light up a few inches, bringing his basking temp to 94or 95. Huby cares and tries ver hard to help, but it scared to try and pick him up for fear of squishing him. He does help with feedings though as he can offer the syringe while Aztec is stll in his enclosure.

Tracie Like you I am leaning towards an injury, about an 1/8 of an inch above the tail there is some swelling on the spine, It does kinds show in his side pics I posted here as well. He hasnt lost any weight and also hasnt gained any. But is hoding his own at this point. Any ideas how long he can hold on with no poo? another question is with all the baths to keep him hydrated, is it possible his poo is just liquid? I mean between baby food and baths there really is no solids going in. The begining of the prolapse concerns me though.

surgerising

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
WE HAVE POOP AND URATE!!!!!!!
ok so its not a blockage its def a spinal injury. he pooed very close to the total amount he had been fed yesterday. upped his temps and he is his pretty brown again. He is still blackbearding and I am assuming that is the pain from the spinal injury. he was dragging himself all over the viv this morning about 15 minutes after his lights were turned on. I'll give him another 1/2 hour to warm up again after his bath and then try to feed him again.

Question now is, with a spinal injury and his inablity to go poo on his own, should we stick to just the baby food and wait and see if the injury heals on its own before reintroducing live feeders? I dont mind feeding him by hand, special needs is so much better to me than a dead beardie.

pudden318

Sub-Adult Member
im so glad you got poop, we are some crazy people always excited about poop. but anyway ive been following this from the begining and saying prayers your doing such a good job. i thank god ive never really had any real problems with all mine so my heart goes out to you. keep up the good work and ill keep up the prayers.

pudden and poopers

surgerising

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Renee'
thanks so much for your prayers. We really appreciate all the support we have gotten from this wonderful group of people. This is my second rescue.Mushu my first dragon, has never had any major issues, a light brumation that threw me for a loop but other than that he has been easy. Cosmo my other rescue gave me quite a scare and now is alomost 200 grams and quitethe character. I am hoping Aztec is a real fighter too and pulls thrugh this. He deserves a happy long life. Though we are using he generically right now as we really dont know wether he or she.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom