very swollen eye, not a lot of energy. please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisonm

I have a beardie whose name is Spike. I rescuue him about 8 months ago and he was very skinny. He has gained very little weight. He will still only eat worms but yet I put him in the other dragons feeding bin the other day and he ate 2 dubias but it took him 10 min. Anyways I woke up yesterday and his right eye was extremely swollen and goopy. He had this little knot on the bottom of this eye on the outside but the vet didn't seemed concerned about it. But he is swollen on the same eye. It was very goopy today almost dried shut. So I cleaned it with warm water and he can open it but only a little and it looks wet on the inside. I started him on baytril today which I had leftover from a respirtory infection. He has a good UVB. The reptisun 10.0. I know a lot of eye issues stem from coil uvbs and cheap tubes. But its not the case with Spike. He also wouldn't eat his worms today so I've been giving him babyfood and carnivore care slushies. He was super thirsty yesterday when he had his weekly bath. He drank for 2-3 min straight. He won't eat a bowl of veggies like my other dragons so I have to hand feed him veggies or trick him and put some in with his worms. But, he still doesn't eat as much as the other ones. So I'm thinking he doesn't get as much water as the other ones because of that so I'm gonna start giving him baths everyother day. I appreciate any help or advice anyone may have. And I will try to upload pics when I get home. Thank you in advance. Sorry I typed so much :)

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I'm sorry that Spike is having troubles. Is he on sand or a chipped wood substrate where something could have gotten in his eye? I have seen raw, unprocessed honey from the health food store recommended here more times than I can count. Folks swear by its healing properties. Thin it a little with warm water to make it easier to apply with a Q-tip. Others should be on to offer their thoughts, as well. Gook luck! Poor fellow.

allisonm

Original Poster
Spike is not on any loose substrate. I use non-adhesive shelf liner since its so easy to clean. I might try the honey stuff. Thank you

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, post pictures when you can just so we can see the eyes.
How far away do you have the Reptisun 10 tube bulb from him & is it mounted alongside of a bright white basking light?
What are the temperatures in the tank?
How long has the eye been swollen?
You can also try getting some sterile saline solution to use daily to help clean the eye out. You can use warm, moistened chamomile tea bags on the eye each night to help reduce swelling & inflammation.
Are you using calcium supplementation on a regular basis?
I would keep the tank around 80 overnight to help his system out in case he has an infection going on.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom