Very strange, very concerning. Now With PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownEyes187

Hatchling Member
My beardie is almost 2 yrs old and has just come out of a light brumation. His temps are all fine, he gets his vitamins and calcium supplements and I have a mega ray bulb for him.

Lately...Ive noticed a very slight redness in his stool..not inside, just more like a little coat of redness on the end of it, sometimes around his urates aswell...Not sure what to make of it, as it is very slight. But is appearing. He has no stress marks at all, hes creamy white, but is now sporting a pitch black beard constantly. Hes restless aswell, always clawing at the glass to come out (hes also facing my bedroom bay windows so he can see out doors) I dont know what to make of it. Ive been forcing him to wade in a warm shallow tub for an hr at a time...And he passes good sized stool...healthy apart from again, a slight slight redness...(be sure to take a picture the next time i see it)

I just dont know what to make of this...He never has a black beard. Never. Hes been like this for several days. Lately - due to good weather, id have him outside soaking in some natural rays and everything...Nothing pleases him.

Could this just be hormonal?

2s9dlw8.jpg

2ywacug.jpg

Now he just finished passing this one, this is the bloodiest ive ever seen.

BrownEyes187

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My little guy is wading in a small warm shallow pool of water...and asleep, i can see him breathing easily and steadily...Hes his usual beautiful bright yellow...all except for that black beard. Hes black even in his sleep :cry:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That poop doesn't look good. Have you had a fecal checked for parasites? What substrate is on the bottom of his tank?

Did you mean that he is asleep in a water dish in his tank? If so, that's not a good idea because he will get too cold and could even drown since they sleep so soundly.

Please update us on him tomorrow.

BrownEyes187

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":32kbfa3e said:
That poop doesn't look good. Have you had a fecal checked for parasites? What substrate is on the bottom of his tank?

Did you mean that he is asleep in a water dish in his tank? If so, that's not a good idea because he will get too cold and could even drown since they sleep so soundly.

Please update us on him tomorrow.

I havent had a fecal done yet, as this just started happening two days ago. Hes on a paper towel/glass substrate.

And no, I kept him by my side in a tub with warm water, i positioned him so that his abdomen and lower extremedies were submerged only.

He had another slight bowel movement today, no redness in sight...something tells me we're not out of the woods yet. Ill have to keep monitoring him as closely as possible to see if things look better over time.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I misunderstood, I'm glad you had him in a tub alongside you instead.

It would be a good idea to have a fecal checked very soon as some parasites like hookworms, can cause a bloody poop.

I know you mentioned that the temps are good, could you fill us in on what the temps are and what type of thermometer you're using?

Since there have been some recent problems with the Megaray, do you happen to know what the batch # is that is printed on the bulb near the Megaray logo? How long have you been using this particular bulb and what is the distance of it?

What has he been eating? Is his beard and/or tail darker in color today? How is his activity level?

BrownEyes187

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":1k62on2l said:
I misunderstood, I'm glad you had him in a tub alongside you instead.

It would be a good idea to have a fecal checked very soon as some parasites like hookworms, can cause a bloody poop.

I know you mentioned that the temps are good, could you fill us in on what the temps are and what type of thermometer you're using?

Since there have been some recent problems with the Megaray, do you happen to know what the batch # is that is printed on the bulb near the Megaray logo? How long have you been using this particular bulb and what is the distance of it?

What has he been eating? Is his beard and/or tail darker in color today? How is his activity level?

Right now they are at 110, and i use a digital thermometer to check.
What sort of problems have there been with the mega rays? I wasnt aware of anything was wrong.

As for a batch number, all I could locate was a "CI" next to the mega ray mercury vapor bulb stamp. And the box is long gone...Ive been using this particular lamp for maybe 4 months now?? Hes at least 15 inches from the bulb, theres no way he could get burnt from the distance that he is.

As for his eating habits, they have definately slowed down...His beard is still black as night, even after having a few butter worms. The tip of his tail is darker aswell, but thats always been its shade...Its always been darker compared to the rest of his scales.

Really apart from that, hes milky white underneathe and is very active. Constantly walking around exploring his tank...settling down for a bit taking in the view from the window and then resuming his walks around his tank. Right now hes basking under the mega ray...Normally.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Here's the link to the info about the Megarays: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=121986 Since yours says C1, you shouldn't have to worry.

Does he spend quite a bit of time under the bulb? Usually adults like it a little cooler than 110, mine do anyway. The black beard especially at night is concerning. Are you using any type of heat at night?

BrownEyes187

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im at a loss, Diane...
I found that he threw up his breakfast, lunch and dinner while i wasnt around. He picked up nicely today...nibbling on food here and there. Hes in the tub again with warm water...He did have a bowl movement again today with no visible blood.

His temps at night are fine, they dont go below 75 or so...Hes wrapped up snuggly in his burrito - i like to stick the thermometer under his belly to be able to monitor his temps at night and check up on him in the morn...Everything is fine...and so should he.

Im at aloss.

This beardie is going to age me terribly lol

......I cant lose this beardie. I just cant.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a shame that he vomited his feedings today. What did he actually eat that he vomited today? Is his beard still black? I know you said you're using a digital thermometer, but does it have a long wire & probe end? If so, are you waiting about 45 min before getting the final readings?
Has he been basking quite a bit lately or does he just bask for a few minutes then move away from the light? Are his eyes bright or is he closing them?

Have you been using calcium with or without D3?

BrownEyes187

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":2dbknjde said:
That's a shame that he vomited his feedings today. What did he actually eat that he vomited today? Is his beard still black? I know you said you're using a digital thermometer, but does it have a long wire & probe end? If so, are you waiting about 45 min before getting the final readings?
Has he been basking quite a bit lately or does he just bask for a few minutes then move away from the light? Are his eyes bright or is he closing them?

Have you been using calcium with or without D3?

His beard is still black, sadly...Nothing seems to please him.
As for the thermometer - it does have quite a long wire and probe at the end. I am constantly checking it to make sure the readings arent fluctuating and its so far always been spot on. Im just in the habit to check every couple of hrs. And yes he does bask, for quite long periods of time...esp after eating...which he then uses the remainder of his time strolling around his tank and revisiting his basking spot when he wants. As for his calcium, i use a fine powder with vitamin d3 added as he gets almost no sun expose most of the yr (we live in toronto, canada) but as of lately, we've been experiencing higher than normal temperatures so I have been bringing him outside with me to bask in the backyard (for no more than 1.5 hrs)

He vomited the few crickets and butterworms he had ate hours earlier...I examined it closely and most of it seemed to not have even started to digest, even tho he had been basking for quite some time :?

I suffered a set back today with monitoring his stools, he had a bowl movement today and i happened to be at work this evening...My mother cleaned up after him and she couldnt recall what it looked like...So no help there and nothing to send off to get tested. Ill have to wait for another opportunity later this week.

Ive just ordered ReptiAid, i searched older posts here on the site and i decided to give it a try.

On a more positive note: He did eat a bit today and he hasent thrown any of that up. That has to be a good thing.

Cant thank you enough for all your help, Diane!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was hoping that his beard color had changed back to normal. It sounds like something is really upsetting his stomach, I'm thinking either parasites, bad crickets (many die offs?) or perhaps too many supplements. How often are you dusting with the calcium and vitamins? Since you're using a MVB, you should be using calcium WITHOUT D3 because those bulbs produce their own D3 so would be a good idea to get some of that.

Do you have any probiotics on hand like soy yogurt, Benebac, Acidophilus that you could give him to try to calm his tummy down? He hadn't been on any antibiotics lately for anything, had he?

That's good that he has managed to keep everything down so far today. Could you do me a favor and measure the distance of the Megaray to HIM in his basking spot? The distance to the basking area isn't as important as the distance is to him when he is sitting there.

You might want to consider feeding a little baby food, something that is easy to digest until he gets feeling better.

I have mixed feelings about the Reptaid so I'm not going to get into that.

Sure hope we can get this guy all straightened out. Too bad that the poop sample wasn't able to be sent for a fecal test, perhaps you can do that with the next one though.

BrownEyes187

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":8ll47s6z said:
I was hoping that his beard color had changed back to normal. It sounds like something is really upsetting his stomach, I'm thinking either parasites, bad crickets (many die offs?) or perhaps too many supplements. How often are you dusting with the calcium and vitamins? Since you're using a MVB, you should be using calcium WITHOUT D3 because those bulbs produce their own D3 so would be a good idea to get some of that.

Do you have any probiotics on hand like soy yogurt, Benebac, Acidophilus that you could give him to try to calm his tummy down? He hadn't been on any antibiotics lately for anything, had he?

That's good that he has managed to keep everything down so far today. Could you do me a favor and measure the distance of the Megaray to HIM in his basking spot? The distance to the basking area isn't as important as the distance is to him when he is sitting there.

You might want to consider feeding a little baby food, something that is easy to digest until he gets feeling better.

I have mixed feelings about the Reptaid so I'm not going to get into that.

Sure hope we can get this guy all straightened out. Too bad that the poop sample wasn't able to be sent for a fecal test, perhaps you can do that with the next one though.

No, hes never been on any kind of medication before. Die offs as in expired crix? Yucky. Never, i take very good care of his crix. I wash out their bin everyday and freshen their food...They are fed a staple of carrots, collard and potatoes.
I dust his crix and worms with supplement 4-5 times a week. Well dusted, at that.
Maybe this really could be that...That crossed my mind b4, so ive been feeding his w/o any supplement. As for available yogurt, i usually have astro natural plain yogurt on hand. Im actually out at the moment but am buying some more tomorrow. Ill be sure to try that, just a little bit. See if his beard calms down a bit. Hes being such an anomoly, he sports a pitch black beard but not a single stress mark :?
I should recieve reptiaid by friday, hopefully. Im desperate, I have to try it. I weighed my beardie in today at 400 grams.

Now taking into account his size ontop of his basking rock beneathe his mega ray, there is about 10 inches or so...15 inch difference just counting the rock.

Im counting the seconds til that medication comes in...I really hope it helps.
I love my little guy...Really hes the sweetest thing. Even unhappy he still doesnt mind being held and never puffs at me or hisses...Hes a sweet little guy.

BrownEyes187

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh Diane what might it mean when beardie urates come out...um...creamy?? Not solid as they are supposed to?? Now i have been soaking him in warm water for an hour a day now...Might this have something to do with it? His urates arent runny, just creamy.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Hi sorry to hear your beardie seems to not be feeling well.

My first thoughts is raise your MVB a couple of inches. What is the size of his enclosure?
Did you burn in your Megaray before using it?

Sorry it's hard for me to tell by the pic's would be better if we could examine it ourselves...:bleick:
Are you sure that it is blood that you are seeing? I mean this, I often freak myself out when I feed watermelon to my crew as it comes out looking just like that. Could you have fed him something that's red and just didn't completely digest? I ask this because I don't really see any red in the liquidy part just the turd(but like I said I can't really tell by the pic's) an I'd think that it would also be in the liquid. Wouldn't it Diane?

Then it does also sound as if he could have gotten some bad bugs. It happens if you aren't breeding and raising you own. The only time I've ever had a beardie vomit it was because of bad bugs.

Oh and your loose urates are most likely do to the soaks that you have been giving him. :wink:
Were they always loose or his urates or is this just since the soakings increased?

Best wishes on collecting a fecal sample soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom