Very sluggish baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ering

I just got a new baby yesterday. I havent handled her yet and I am just very worried because she wont open her eyes. The people who sold her to me were using the coil bulbs so "I" think that her eyes got burnt because it was to powerful. The other baby that I bought with her is doing very well eating running around and having a blast but she just doesnt want to eat. What should I do?

ering

Original Poster
They have a zilla desert 50. I have read that is not the bulb to have and a 100 watt infrared for heat.

IMG_20110905_214821.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Four things off bat, you know of the first, I really would recommend changing the Zilla for a Reptisun 10.0. Second the dragons need to get 6-8 inches from the UV source and still bask. Third the basking needs to be monitored with a digital w/ probe thermometer. The range should be 105-110°F for young dragons. Lastly the red light should be switched out for a clear colored bulb, you can use a house hold bulb that is either vivid white or natural daylight in color, or a reptile basking bulb, there are other option too if you need. The reason for this is dragons can see red and it may be the issue with this young one.

I hope everything works out here and if you need more help please ask. :wink:
I just want the best experience for you and your dragons, I want you to have the longest time together as possible, they are great pets. :D

ering

Original Poster
Since last night she has started to move around and keep her eyes open. I let her sock today and he had a bm. I haven't got her to eat yet but my other one eats all the time. I am changing her lights out in a few min. Thank you so much for your advice. I have taken it to heart and I am going to change everything..

ering

Original Poster
Got the light switched to a white basking bulb she seems to be doing better. She is at least keeping her eyes open now. Spends most of their time basking, I'm sure just still getting used to the new surroundings. Here is a picture from today. She is on the right and he is on the left. Don't have names yet so its still he and she lol
IMG_20110906_172831.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I am glad there is progress, from the picture she appears slightly dehydrated. How long was her soak? I would bathe her tomorrow too.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
ering":2ltbs6g0 said:
About 10 minutes

I am unsure if this is new or old to you but, ehh...

Bathing: 10-15 minutes in 93-96° shoulder height water.
Just an FYI. 10 minutes is a good time. Has she eaten anything? You can offer some cantaloupe or honey dew melon, they are high in moisture. My dragons prefer the honey dew. :wink:

ering

Original Poster
no she has not ate anything yet she is already starting to loose weight. She use to weigh more than the male but he now weighs mor than her. Is it a good idea if i try to make her eat. I just dont want her to starve.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I would try baby food, like chicken or beef mixed with some squash or do them separately either way. I would mix in a small amount of calcium supplement with D3 one feeding of the baby food a day. you can feed this through a syringe with out the needle of course, place a drop on her snout she should like it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom