Very Sick Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainMaiden

ProxyDragon":a4egy0pt said:
-Update- He's looking pretty bloated I think maybe it is compaction, if so how do I get him un-plugged? He looks down right miserable.
You can try soaking him in a shallow tub of warm water and messaging his abdomen (gently!) in the direction of his vent.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
RainMaiden":2lq4m01f said:
ProxyDragon":2lq4m01f said:
-Update- He's looking pretty bloated I think maybe it is compaction, if so how do I get him un-plugged? He looks down right miserable.
You can try soaking him in a shallow tub of warm water and messaging his abdomen (gently!) in the direction of his vent.

Do you have a needless syringe? If you can get applesauce (sugar free if at all possible) and mix in some olive oil and syringe feed it to the dragon, that will act as a laxative and perhaps help him pass the obstruction. It is not a guarantee, thought. You really do need to get him to a vet tomorrow. Hydrate him in a bath as RainMaiden said.

Keep him warm overnight, if at all possible. If you don't have a ceramic heat emitter, then you can leave his basking light on and cover him with a small cloth to keep the light away so he can sleep in the dark. The heat will help keep his digestive system working and that is really important right now if he may be impacted.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay I put some Calcium into his food and some Vitamins, but I don't know how long until I can get the bulb, I have to order it off the internet. Also, I found a Rep Vet! Yay, the only one in my area, but they're not going to be here until monday. Will he survive that long? If I just keep feeding him the baby food and calcium along with me putting him in actual sun?

Okay and I'll have to run to town to get some apple sauce.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
ProxyDragon":31qhg3k1 said:
Okay I put some Calcium into his food and some Vitamins, but I don't know how long until I can get the bulb, I have to order it off the internet. Also, I found a Rep Vet! Yay, the only one in my area, but they're not going to be here until monday. Will he survive that long? If I just keep feeding him the baby food and calcium along with me putting him in actual sun?

Okay and I'll have to run to town to get some apple sauce.

That is great that you found a Reptile vet - but having to wait until Monday is risky. Keep giving the applesauce, olive oil, baby food - add calcium powder to it and vitamins. Give warm soaks twice a day, and make sure the water is warm, not lukewarm. Also keep him warm in his viv. Make sure he stays well hydrated. While you are in town, if you can pick up some Gatorade or PediaLyte, that would be helpful. You can give him some oral fluids a few times a day, and the hydration can also help his body pass any sand he may have ingested. Be sure he is off the sand asap, and you can just lay down paper towels.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's super bloated now. I'm really concerned cause he won't eat the apple sauce he had maybe a fourth a milligram, thats putting it pretty high. I tried rubbing his belly but he tenses up and opens his mouth. : (

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
ProxyDragon":3d4n9p1e said:
He's super bloated now. I'm really concerned cause he won't eat the apple sauce he had maybe a fourth a milligram, thats putting it pretty high. I tried rubbing his belly but he tenses up and opens his mouth. : (

It sounds like he is in pain - both opening the mouth and tensing up would be signs of pain. Does he have a black beard? Is the end of his tail black or dark? If you are having a hard time getting anything into him, then skip the applesauce and just give him some straight olive oil, a little bit at a time. Maybe see how much of 0.5mL you can get into him. You don't want to flood his body with oil, but it sounds like this might be urgent and that is what I would do if it were my dragon. Has Tracie (Drache613) answered you yet? I wish she were here to help. I'm so sorry to hear how he is right now. I'm worried a little that if it is really painful when you massage his tummy then maybe you should stop doing that for a while, in case anything he might be impacted with would perforate his intestines. I'm not an expert and that may not even happen, I just would have that worry. What do you think?

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm not sure what to think, he's not doing very well. He won't open his mouth to take in an of the oil. Its not looking to good for him. Tracy did message me but she needed more info. I'm looking up another rep vet who will hopefully be able to help. But I'm not sure if he'll live the 100 mile drive.

His tails alittle dark, and he can't fully beard yet.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I suppose if he makes it through the night, I'll drive him the distance. I'll keep this updated through out the night if anything changes. Right now he's sleeping the heating pad. with a paper towel separating him from the actual pad.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Sounds like you are doing what you can and making him as comfortable as possible. I hope he makes it through the night and has some improvement in the morning. Soak him in the morning in warm water and be cautious about massage, I guess just see how it goes and use your judgment. Good luck! I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Smetimes, if you make the water a little warmer and deeper than usual, that will help. If he has to swim, that is if he can, the exercise will help with a movement. It helped once with mine. Best of luck! I'm sending positive thoughts for his improvement!

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The only thing he can do is dry heave or gasp not sure right now, thanks for the idea. I gave him some oil when he opened his mouth not sure how much, but less than .5ml He threw up about the amount i squirted in.

RockHound

Hatchling Member
An X-ray would show if he is impacted and any vet clinic can do that. I'd take him to the nearest emergency vet clinic first thing in the morning... Plus, they may be able to direct you to someone experienced with reptiles. The large mammal/equine clinic near me has a marine mammal vet that happens to be experienced with reptiles - would have never known if I hadn't gone in and asked.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, the closest vet clinic is about fifteen miles, and they only deal in horses, cows and average house hold pets, I know this because I've been there a few times. I happen to live in the middle of no where. But I'm going to call the closest one tomorrow and see if they have an emergency clinic if not I'm going to the next one.

I did a little google maping and found that the next closest actually would be 45 miles away making it 90 round trip, then after 400 round trip. The last herp vet would be 600 round trip making it about 300 miles there. If you knew montana it'd be (Butte, Missoula, Billings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom