Very Sick Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Hello, My bearded Dragon, is sick, he has fecal smear near his vent and has been very lethargic, when I went to his room, ---Edit-- He was in his viv upside down --Edit--, he was awake but just laying there, I flipped him over and set him inside of his carrying case, so if there was a rep vet near by I could take him. Sadly I can't find a single one that is open. He's trying to beard and his eyes seem rather large. He went through a shed but that last thing to shed was his tail. Another symptom is that he keeps dragging his back left leg. Maybe he hurt it when he possibly flopped from his hammock?

I would like to point out that he is going to be six months on the 29th of June

I really need some help, so if anyone can give me answers they would be much appreciated.

-Edit - Thought I'd change the title since I found a Herp vet

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Can you give us a run down of your husbandry, details about the size tank he is in and lighting, what you feed him and when, and what supplements you give and how often?

Posting a pic of your dragon and his set-up would help, too.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sure, He lives in a 40 Gal Terrarium, He eats loads of crickets, I'm still trying to get him to eat veggies, I offer him collard greens daily, but he never eats them. He has a Calcium sand substrait and I gut load the crickets, I also dust them once, or twice a week. He has Repti glo UV and Repti Sun Heat source, I have one large heating pad on the side of his cage. Also a Repti Product, I'm not sure if I like those products but there all they have at the store.

I do have multi Vitamins for him but the guy at the pet store told me that it works the same as buying the Calcium sand. He also has a little water dish which I give him water daily. Right now he's eating baby food with veggies and a anti-Biotic mixed in to help boost his immune system. Maybe I'm doing it wrong and if so pleeaaase help me. My last beardie died at six months and this one is trying his hardest too it seems.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
ProxyDragon":3i0i4at0 said:
Sure, He lives in a 40 Gal Terrarium, He eats loads of crickets, I'm still trying to get him to eat veggies, I offer him collard greens daily, but he never eats them. He has a Calcium sand substrait and I gut load the crickets, I also dust them once, or twice a week. He has Repti glo UV and Repti Sun Heat source, I have one large heating pad on the side of his cage. Also a Repti Product, I'm not sure if I like those products but there all they have at the store.

I do have multi Vitamins for him but the guy at the pet store told me that it works the same as buying the Calcium sand. He also has a little water dish which I give him water daily. Right now he's eating baby food with veggies and a anti-Biotic mixed in to help boost his immune system. Maybe I'm doing it wrong and if so pleeaaase help me. My last beardie died at six months and this one is trying his hardest too it seems.

We are all glad to help you. There are a lot of experienced bearded dragon keepers that will come on here and let you know what they think.

First thing to do, right off, is to get that Calcium sand out of that tank and just toss it out. Calcium sand is a marketing ploy by the manufacturer to try and get you to buy their useless and harmful product. No dragon should ever eat sand. So putting any vitamins or calcium in the sand will make the dragon eat something he should not. That sand will not pass completely through him and can severely impact his digestive system. Remove it and put him on paper towels or reptile carpet or non adhesive shelf liner, the shelf liner will wipe clean and is probably the most sanitary or at least easiest to make sanitary.

It's not a good idea for a beginner reptile person to have any sand in the dragon's home. There are breeders and more experienced people who have success with sand or at least can recognize warning signs if they come up, but even then most of us don't see any reason to use it. And with that being said, the people in the industry who use sand will tend to use play sand, as it is a bit safer. I still advise you against the sand.

He needs his calcium dusted on his feeders 5 days a week and he needs his vitamins dusted in his feeders the other 2 days a week.

Feeding crickets is fine, just be sure to dust them. For a 6 month old, they may or may not want their greens, but keep offerring. As he gets a bit older he will hopefully start really eating them. We are starting to transition some of our dragons that are 10-12 months old over to more salad and less feeders, and ours are starting to make that change themselves and are eating more salad on their own. You can try switching to turnip greens and see if he would prefer them. My dragons prefer turnips over collards.

The UVB bulbs need to be replaced every 6 months. Since your dragon is 6 months old, you'll be wanting to change it soon. When you change it, go with the ReptiSUN 10.0 linear tube, as it is a higher quality bulb with a more consistent UVB output and seems to be easier on their eyes than the ReptiGlo.

What is this ReptiSun heat source you have? Is that a bright white basking bulb? I searched the product online and can't figure that out - let me know.

Also what are your tank temps - basking spot, cool side and warm side? What do you use to measure your temps? Can you please check out this amazing thread and make sure you are getting accurate temps? viewtopic.php?f=34&t=167279 Inaccurate temps can cause health problems, dehydration, and incomplete digestion.

Hang in there, hopefully it's a simple husbandry issue and not any kind of disease. Usually if they fall off their hammock they are not going to be found flipped over unless there is something wrong.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright I'll start looking at getting tile, as I've seen several people with tile. Is there a particulate kind that I should invest in?
And I'll have to order his new UV light off of the internet. That UV light actually is almost a year old, and maybe thats what is bothering his poor eyes? I always thought you replaced the light because they went out.

I also have an all living things bulb which is my main basking bulb.
I mislead you on the name of the heat source its a Sun-Glo Basking bulb
Heres what it looks like Via the internet

http://www.wag.com/reptile/p/exo-terra-sun-glo-basking-infrared-spot-lamp-100-watts-120-volts-221286?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_W&utm_term=NJN-001&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1323900511&utm_content=pla&ca_sku=NJN-001&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

2q1uopl.jpg

This is the Sick Fellow

2qjzrz4.jpg

His Viv There is another light but he's using it for heat in another smaller terrarium

346b287.jpg

More of his viv

wbcdc4.jpg

This is what I'm giving him, but I crush it and put it in his Baby food.

2u6eoa1.jpg

This is the all living things bulb

d9pfp.jpg

This is the all living things bulb on

1yuzwg.jpg

This is the burnt out Sun-Glo

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
A little update from a few minutes ago, I've been watching him and I now noticed that he won't move wither of his back legs.

drstevo

Do you notice any skeletal deformities such as spine curvature?
Does he always have his head down and if so, since when?

Regards,
Stevo.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
That UV light actually is almost a year old, and maybe thats what is bothering his poor eyes?
I'm not going to lie, this is a bad thing. This may mean he has been without the proper lighting for 6months. That can cause MBD in bearded dragons. For now I would PM Drache613 aka Tracie She is wonderful with the health related part of beardie care. Also for comfort try bathing your little one in warm water. Make sure you get the new bulb. Getting natural sunlight will do wonders also.

drstevo

Irwinshealth is right. Message Drache613 on this site,she is very experienced and well read on bearded dragons. Message her, include what your setup is and his symptoms.

Kind regards,
Stevo.

RainMaiden

When was the last time he had a normal looking bowel movement? Hind leg paralysis and lethargy are both symptoms of Gut Impaction. Calcium sand is a big time offender when it comes to impaction. Take the sand out immediately and use paper towels for now. You can always buy tiles later on. It will also be a lot easier to monitor his droppings on paper towels.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright, thanks for the advice. He had a bowel movement yesterday, and his head has only been down today but he does pick it up, I'll message Tracy, thank you guys again.

ProxyDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
-Update- He's looking pretty bloated I think maybe it is compaction, if so how do I get him un-plugged? He looks down right miserable.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Irwinshealth":1w7r0sdk said:
That UV light actually is almost a year old, and maybe thats what is bothering his poor eyes?
I'm not going to lie, this is a bad thing. This may mean he has been without the proper lighting for 6months. That can cause MBD in bearded dragons. For now I would PM Drache613 aka Tracie She is wonderful with the health related part of beardie care. Also for comfort try bathing your little one in warm water. Make sure you get the new bulb. Getting natural sunlight will do wonders also.

I agree.

ProxyDragon, I agree that a PM to Tracie would be a really good idea. Definitely order the linear tube ReptiSUN 10.0 UVB and get him under it ASAP. Make sure he can easily get within 6-8" of the UVB. If he is having any trouble moving or weakness make very sure that he can get to his basking spot without hurting himself. If he does have a calcium issue his bones may not be as strong as they would need to be to protect him from a fall.

Just the lack of regular calcium supplementation and the weak/old UVB would easily cause MBD, but you should be able to reverse it at this stage. Hopefully there isn't anything else going on with him.

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom