Very loose, smelly poops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sangheili

Hatchling Member
Information:
Cage: 36"L x 24"D x 22"H
Temps: Basking area: 94F Cool side: 79F
Reptisun 10.0 UVB Within 6" of her basking spot.
Diet: Daily of Mustard/Collard greens with squash [different kinds] and weekly treat of blueberries, strawberries, carrots, etc. thrown in for variety. Also gets bell peppers every now and then.
Dusted Superworms now and then but main insect are dubia roaches. She gets a handfull every other day.
I give her weekly warm baths.

Problem: Lethargic, doesn't move around enclosure much. Can't catch insects. Misses a lot when she goes in for food. Loose, smelly poop with undigested greens in it.

I've had a fecal test done and it showed nothing. Thinking I need to get another sample and take it to a different vet.

Photos below.

Cage
tumblr_n49774Yi9C1rur2nlo1_1280.jpg

Recent photos [taken today]
tumblr_n52ilpY5Li1rur2nlo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n52ilpY5Li1rur2nlo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n52ilpY5Li1rur2nlo3_1280.jpg

Photo of the poop she did today [almost pooped on my hoodie!]
tumblr_n52ilpY5Li1rur2nlo4_1280.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, a basking area of only 94 won't allow her to be able to digest her food and it's obvious that there are undigested greens, etc in her poop.

What are you using besides the Repti-Sun 10.0 UVB to heat up her tank? I don't see a basking bulb in the picture.

Also, what type of thermometer are you using?

Since the basking area is too cool, it will make her not want to leave that area and can cause lethargy as well as undigested food.

If her poop is quite smelly, you should have a fecal checked for parasites.

Sangheili

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ah, sorry, I heat her with a 100W Ceramic Heat Emitter.
Basking spot varies in the 95-97 range because then she actively avoids it and stays on the other side of the cage if it's any higher.
I'm using a RYOBI Digital Temperature Gun.

I have had two tests done. One said no parasites and the other vet never called me back...

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, ok, using a CHE. Have you thought about switching that out with a bright white basking bulb instead? The brighter the tank, the better they like it and the fluorescent tubes don't really throw off good, bright light.

Good that you're using a temp gun. How far from the area are you holding it when you ck the basking temp?

I'm glad you had 2 fecal tests done and that one was negative. A shame that the other vet even bothered to call you back.

Sangheili

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":363i7tpy said:
Oh, ok, using a CHE. Have you thought about switching that out with a bright white basking bulb instead? The brighter the tank, the better they like it and the fluorescent tubes don't really throw off good, bright light.

Good that you're using a temp gun. How far from the area are you holding it when you ck the basking temp?

I'm glad you had 2 fecal tests done and that one was negative. A shame that the other vet even bothered to call you back.

Yeah, and the other vet had the audacity to charge me for the test they never gave me the results on!

The temp gun has a laser sight. I take the temps between a foot and 6 inches away.
I moved a few things around so she's a little closer to the heat.

What brand bulb would you recommend? I've been using Reptisun 10.0 because they are the only ones I haven't heard to cause any eye problems. Or should I keep it and just bring in another light?

Sangheili

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Another thing, she never holds herself up like a normal beardie, like this. And her walk has an odd gait to it.
bearded-dragon-02.jpg

She gets calcium dusted insects and I dust her food sometimes.

She always holds herself like this
bearded-dragon-adult.png

Her colors are also like this right after getting insects or while sleeping, but then she goes back to her really dark colors and has the stress marks on her belly. [not my photo but you get the idea]
Bearded-Dragon-Cages.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think I would call the vet & find out what the results are, you certainly have a right to know since you paid for it and, he has an obligation to tell you.

The temp gun has a laser sight. I take the temps between a foot and 6 inches away.
I moved a few things around so she's a little closer to the heat.
That's good that you're getting temps at different distances, would be a good idea to get a reading only 2" away too.

You should continue to use the Repti-Sun 10.0 tube, those are great lights. The bulb should be replaced every 5 to 6 months though as that's when they start to loose the UV output.

According to the dimensions, your tank is about an 80 gallon which is a good size. Since you're using a 100 watt CHE, I would try a 100 watt standard household light bulb if you have one on hand now and see what the basking temp is then without the CHE turned on but still using the Repti-Sun UVB. Or, you could go to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up a normal outdoor halogen flood light of a low wattage like about a 35 or so as the flood lights throw off a lot of heat. I really think a bright white basking bulb like that will make a big difference in his activity level & especially his coloring.

When you said that she has an odd gait, I'm not sure what you meant. Does she limp or favor one leg? Is she walking on all 4 legs? You might want to think about giving her a bath 3 to 4 times a wk if you can as that can also make a difference in how they act.

How often are you dusting her feeders with calcium? How old do you think she is?

Sorry for all the questions.

Sangheili

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Would a big basking/flood light from walmart or ace hardware work? Small town, no lowes/home depot here.

Questions are great! It's all fine.

She just kind of... walks weird... I can try to get a video of it tomorrow. It's sort of like a limp, but the limp is on both sides? It's more of a recent-ish thing. I haven't had my room clean enough for her to explore in quite a long time. She does walk on all 4 legs. But nothing like what a beardie should be walking like. I'm thinking I need to save up a little money and maybe get an x-ray to make sure she doesn't have MBD for some reason.

I give her insects 3x a week and they are all dusted with calcium. My multivitamin container got spilled by the cats so I have yet to order another one, it's been a few months. I'll order some tomorrow.

I got her.. 4 years ago. She was 100% adult when I got her so.. maybe 6-7 years? Not too old I don't think. There's no past history on her, unfortunately. Got her at a pet store when someone abandoned her there.

She WAS a very very happy beardie when I had her on sand when I first got her [rookie mistake, I know] I was thinking, I have a bunch of eco earth and it's much easier to pass than sand is, do you think I could give her a dig box with eco earth?

Sangheili

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's also SUPER PICKY about her greens and picks the things she wants out of the bowl. I bought a food processor to chop the salad up a little more so she can't be so picky.

Should I maybe add a teeny bit of calcium or multivitamin powder to her salad when I make it?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not sure if you are aware but adults can have 50 small feeders (like crickets) or 35 large feeders (like superworms) a week.

Good to hear that you will be picking up more vitamins since she is such a picky eater so we want to make sure she isn't lacking any vitamins.

It would be good if you could get a video of her walking around so we can get an idea of how she moves.

Don't see why you couldn't make her a small dig box with eco earth in it, just make sure she doesn't eat it or lick it a lot or you would have to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom