Very Little Calcium Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Msshardy

Hello,

My beardie will not eat calcium dusted mealworms. She knows its on there, she won't eat them. The only way I can get them in her is if I knock the dust off so it isn't grey. I know about sprays, but those are a little expensive right now. Am I able to like give her a bath and put some calcium dust in the water so she will at least drink it? Please help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How old is she? If she eats greens, you can try feeding her some collard greens which are calcium rich (as far as greens go anyway). It's possible she doesn't like the brand of dust you're using too. It may be worth experimenting with a few different brands to see if there is one she likes. I've had good luck with Repashy Calcium Plus.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What brand do you use? It's certainly worth trying a different dust. You could also try other feeders - she may not mind the dust as much on another bug. Also, black soldier fly larvae (Phoenix, calci or repti worms) wouldn't need to be dusted with calcium, just vitamin on the usual schedule.

Sprays can be difficult to does/administer. If drinks in the bath it might work but she will only get calcium via her mouth, so dropper method may be simpler. Liquid calcium (drops not spray) is an alternative too - but again you'll need to be mindful of dosing.

Msshardy

Original Poster
I use Rep-Cal. And she can't catch crickets so those won't work. She's a couple months old, so the phoenix worms are too big. And the only veggies she has ever eaten for me is about an inch of a carrot top and a bit of an actual carrot.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Have you tried using a dish or cup for the crickets? You may be able to tip them out near her one at a time so it's easier for her to catch them. Especially for such a little one, mealworms might not be a good staple - the shells can be hard to digest. I think small pheonix worms are very small... But I'm not sure. The large ones are pretty dinky. You may be able to get tiny silk worms - but I'm guessing they would go fast.

Just to rule out husbandry, can you tell us more about your setup?
Temps, and how you measure them?
What brand and shape UVB light you have, and what other lights you use?
How many insects does she eat per day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nuochoakenperfume
Top Bottom