VERY ILL BEARDIE

Status
Not open for further replies.

noola

I HAVE JUST GOT A GIRL BEARDIE FORM SOMEONE WHO DID NOT WANT HER. SHE IS VERY POORLY CAN NOT MOVE, CAN NOT POO AND FEELS AS THOUGH SHE HAS A LARGE STONE IN HER TUMMY . I HAVE BATHED HER AND HAND FED HER A LITTLE SALAD BUT I NOT SURE WHAT TO DO , PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS URGENT..

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like she's impacted. There are several things you can do. First soak her for about 15 to 20 minutes at a time, 2 times a day for now. Second, give her sugar free applesauce, warmed up a little, some oil (can't remember which one, check on the beardie health forum). I will ask someone to check this post out and they will have more information for you.

wingnuts

Juvie Member
Olive oil...a few drops. I would avoid giving her solid food until she gets rehydrated and has pooped. Canned pumpkin is a safe food to offer her on her nose as is canned baby food like squash or sweet potatoes. I'd add a couple of drops of olive oil into a little bit of the baby food or canned pumpkin. Several smaller offerings a day.

Make sure that the temps in her enclosure are 95-110 degrees measured with a probe thermometer or a temperature gun in the hot spot. Also, when you give her a bath gently massage her side from below the rib cage to her vent. That can help break up an impaction and move it along towards where it needs to go.

I am sure there are other much more experienced beardie owners out there who may have other suggestions. Good luck with your new girl. Please keep us posted.

Tracy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Perfect suggestions guys, no problem.
Please keep us updated on your dragon.
The soft foods are the only foods that you should feed your dragon right now, until we figure out exactly what is going on. I highly suspect impaction from sand or other loose bedding.
When you bathe your dragon, massage the belly on the right side of the belly, starting under the arm, going all of the way down to the vent. Be very gentle when massaging. Try to see if you can get her to swim around a little bit in the water as exercise can help to promote things to move through the GI tract a little bit. Extra oral fluids can help as well.
Do not leave your dragon unattended in the water/tub for a single second as they can quickly drown, especially the smaller & younger ones.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

noola

Original Poster
Hi all thanx for your help. S he is still very poorly , i syringe fed her stewed apple and olive oil mixture today she liked it. Have given her lots of warm baths to . she is still not able to move her self apart from try and pull her self but she gets no where. i move her to and from her basking area when she is too hot. I managed to get some of the blokage away from her today and it really smells bad ,It was the most so far though so i was really happy with her. I am going to keep doing this every day . I think she is one of the most beautifull dragons i have seen. she has blues , oranges and yellows on her. How anyone could not notice that she was not right for so long is beyond me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom