Very confused, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres07

You have a basking bulb the white round one. Add it to the dual lamp with the nighttime bulb. And just leave the basking bulb on during the day. And the nighttime at night. What you can do is switch out bulbs every morning so that the uvb uva and basking bulb is on. Then at night add the nighttime bulb. At least until you get a uvb uva fixture. Get the long uva uvb. Like the reptisun. Then you can just leave the day basking bulb and nightime bulb in the dual lamp together and leave the basking bulb on with the reptisun on at day and just turn on the nightime bulb at night only. I would try to get the reptisun as soon as a possible the uva uvb bulb you have might be a coiled one. Those are dangerous as they stare into the bright light all day. And can cause blindness. Did i make any sense?

AnueBeardie

Original Poster
Ok, whats the difference between the white basking light I have and a uva/uvb basking light?
Is it just that one produces the uvb rays they need for there bones and such and the one I have doesn't?
And could I just get a basking light that produces uva and uvb rays so then I don't have to keep switching the night time and day time bulb.

Andres07

The round one is for heat. The long one with 2 or 3 tubes is a uvb uva. But that one is a coil. Its better to get a long fixture like the reptisun. And just keep the basking for heat.

AnueBeardie

Original Poster
But I could't get a basking light that provided the uvb and uva rays needed for them?
So they would have heat and the rays needed, and I wouldn't need to drop 100 bucks on a big lighting fixture?

AnueBeardie

Original Poster
Ok, I have a uvb/uva light right now, that lights up a good portion of her tank.
Does she really need the tube? Or can that one bulb keep her healthy enough?
I can just switch out the different kinds of basking lights everyday, gotta stop being lazy :lol:.
Thank you for your help. :)

Andres07

Yes but the one you have is a coil uvb uva light. Those are way bright and can cause blindness to dragons. I suggest using that one until you get a long tube uvb uva hood fixture. Like the link i showed you. It lights up good. And also isnt too bright to blind the dragons.

AnueBeardie

Original Poster
Ohhhh ok, I'll look into saving up for a tube one.
That will also solve my changing of the bulb problem.
Thank you :)

AnueBeardie

Original Poster
Its cool.
Its just hard deciding what to do, there are a million contradicting posts on the internet.
And I'm not sure which ones are right.
But I will try to get the longer fixture in the future. And hopefully, she won't go blind due to that uvb/uva bulb :(

Andres07

Everyone has their own opinion on whats best alike substrates to use as sand carpet tile. Etc. And on lighting. You must do research on the wild bearded drago that comes from australia to understand how their natural habitats are and how to mimic them in their enclosure to precise heating and substrates. Also you learn from people who have gotten experience by posting articles. As how their bearded dragons got blind due to this. Or lost a limb due to that. Things like that. Dont worry after a while you will gain your experience by living it and soon you will be offering your own advice opinion based on your experiences.
As long as your bearded dragon is eating active and is always alert. You have a happy bearded dragon.
I have bred bearded dragons in the past. And have never had a sick bearded dragon. Every beardie i raised was always healthy and active. Look at how they naturally ive in australia. Do research. And you will get more of an understanding with them. Simple math. Lol.
Well keep us updated on how shes progressing and on your experiences with your beardie goes. If anything else just ask everyone on this site is amazing and we all have something in common. Love and care for bearded dragons.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It is very hard to sift through all of the information, absolutely!
The compact/coil UVB lights really are not all that great. In some cases, they can cause marked eye issues & health problems. They spike strong UVB which many times is low wavelength which can be dangerous then drop off to where there is little to none.
The tube bulbs are much better. There are a few types & strengths. I think most of us here recommend the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube, either one is great. Those are the T8 standard bulbs. There have been new ones designed that are higher output, which are T5 tube bulbs that are thinner in appearance & require a high output light fixture. I think they are better because the UVB:UVA ratio are better & they last longer.
There are also Mercury vapor bulbs which give off UVB along with heat & UVA all in the same bulb. The best ones are Exoterra Solar Glo, Zoomed Powersun & the Arcadia D3 12% (my favorite one).

You can check out Todd's site here:

www.lightyourreptiles.com

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, I agree with Tracie, a mercury vapor bulb would solve your problem as that one bulb would supply UVB & UVA in one bulb and you wouldn't have to switch anything around. There are some very good ones on the market and most last one full yr.

The compact/coil UVB's can indeed cause eye issues as well as other problems. They also only put out any UVB rays in a very small area and aren't dependable enough to prevent full absorption of the calcium so a beardie could get metabolic bone disease.

What size is the tank that you have, sorry if I missed that info. I noticed that the tank temp is 91 degrees at night. Beardies do need a cool down period so using a 150 watt colored bulb is really too much heat, 75 to 80 at night would be healthier for him. The ceramic heat emitters are great and put out a good amount of heat in a pretty big area. A 60 to 75 watt would probably be perfect. I have used CHE's for many years, over 15 yrs for beardies and they last a very long time, actually years. They come in a lot of different wattages and are a big seller especially for bearded dragons. You really get your money's worth when using them. https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ceramiic+heat+emitters&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aceramiic+heat+emitters

I agree that there is a lot of info to try to absorb and to also do the right thing. We are here to help in any way we can. ;)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how things are going!
I agree with Diane, the ceramic heat emitters are very helpful in keeping the nighttime temperatures up during cooler times of the year.

Tracie

AnueBeardie

Original Poster
To Tracie.
Things seem to be going ok.
I need to get a tube uvb/uva lighting fixture, they are just too expensive for me right now (I am a younger fellow who has no job). I will also look into replacing my purple basking night time light with a ceramic heater for my beardie at night.
Currently, my purple light is keep her rock a toasty 105 degrees, I measured it with a temp gun. And she seems to be sleeping fine (she is actually knocked out right now). But I will replace it with a ceramic heater just so she can sleep in darkness.
Its the lighting fixture that will take forever to get. Being that the 18 inch ones cost around 100 bucks, and the bulbs cost around 18ish.
But currently my beardie seems fine, I make sure to feed her calcium covers crickets so she gets at least some form of calcium for her body.
I'll come update this page if anything else happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom