VERY Black Beard ... UPDATED Now pooping where he lays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

If you have any questions, you can always call Bob Mac & he will tell you exactly what you need to do. However, a 160watt bulb is stronger in UVB emissions than a 100watt is. I personally think that the 100watts are better & tend to get hotter than the 160watts for some reason. I have had some trouble with the 160watts going out on me. I think the ballasts get too hot.
The UVB is way too strong at 12 inches, so definitely keep it at least 16 inches from him.
Is your ceramic light fixture rated for at least 300+ watts? If not, your light will go out because it will get too hot.
Let us know what the temps are tomorrow.

Tracie

cath1024

Original Poster
Ok i have had the lights on for about 1.5 hours now and the basking area is 16" away and will not go past 96.4 ... he is trying to jump up the sides of the tank - maybe to get closer to the light/heat?

The cool area of the tank is 74

he did eat 6 crickets this morning but his color is still looking dull and dark

Should i ask this Bob guy at the website what he suggests or should i go back and get the 100W?

cath1024

Original Poster
ok i have talked to someone at the mega ray company - talked with the reptile store lady and everything has been explained to me - the reptile store lady was not wrong with what she was telling me - she deals directly with this company and even took a course on these bulbs so I have no reason to not believe what she has been telling me all along as it is what she leant straight from the company itself. Im not saying anyone here was wrong or right as everyone has their own opinions.

I dont want to start any arguments of any sort but just wanted to say thank you to all who helped me turn in the direction of the lighting and temps being the possible cause of our dragons problem.

Let hope this is all its going to take to get him back to himself again :)

he ate 6 crickets this morning and just ate a piece of greens and his color is even looking brighter.

Thanks again!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
cath1024":40320 said:
ok i have talked to someone at the mega ray company - talked with the reptile store lady and everything has been explained to me - the reptile store lady was not wrong with what she was telling me - she deals directly with this company and even took a course on these bulbs so I have no reason to not believe what she has been telling me all along as it is what she leant straight from the company itself. Im not saying anyone here was wrong or right as everyone has their own opinions.

I dont want to start any arguments of any sort but just wanted to say thank you to all who helped me turn in the direction of the lighting and temps being the possible cause of our dragons problem.

Let hope this is all its going to take to get him back to himself again :)

he ate 6 crickets this morning and just ate a piece of greens and his color is even looking brighter.

Thanks again!
You spoke with Bob?and he said it was sage for 160 watt to be 12 inches away?I am sorry I am not trying to start a fight either however I have had numerous conversations wit Bob and have been using these bulbs for a very long time.Something is very wrong here.There is no way they would tell you this if they knew it was a 160.I am going to give him a call and try to clear this up.As far as I know nothing has changed with these bulbs so there should be no reason distance has changed.

cath1024

Original Poster
no i did not speak with Bob - my mega ray comes from a company here in Canada not from the USA - so maybe they have slight differences then the US based company and standards i dont realy know.

No one has agreed to have the light 12" or less away if that is what you are wondering Max is set up with the right temps and he is 16" away.

Like i said i would like to end this thread as everything is now figured out on my end.

Thanks again for everyones help!

Whoever is in charge if you could lock this thread now that would be great as i dont want it to drag on about whos right and who wrong.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, we only want what is right for your beardie, that's why we're trying to help. Those of us that have MVB's know how strong these bulbs are and know how dangerous it can be to use them at incorrect distances. Just to clear things up & to put our minds at ease, Max now has the bulb 16" from him and the basking temp is 96.4 with a cool side of 74? If so, you could always put a lower wattage bulb on the cool side to try to raise the temp there to about 80 and that might even help raise the basking temp up a little. Just a suggestion.

cath1024

Original Poster
yes this is exactly what we have done - his basking area is at about 100-110 (depends how much we open his front sliders)

We have added a 50w to the cool side for a little added heat and light (it was looking pretty dark over there)
We were told that with it being a little darker wouldnt normally be a problem but with the temp only getting to around 74 that he would start to bumate (i spelt that wrong i know)

So she suggested like you just did to add the other heat source on the other side but not to add too much or put anything high over there as he might stay over there too much and bask and wouldnt be getting the UVB that he needs from the hot side.

So now with the added heat the cool side is now 82.

Its just realy confusing all this stuff with lights and temps.

the wire screen on top of our tank will also block out some heat and uvb so im sure he will be just fine at this distance.

one more question - do you find your dragons perfer a smooth/flat basking surface or rough wood and also how about horizontal or slanted?

Thanks!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your temps sound good now but you might want to continue to check them for the next few days at at least. With the 100 watt T-Rex that I use in one of the tanks, the temps got hotter in a couple of days rather than staying at the temps they were when I first set the bulb up. Takes a few days for the MVB's to "burn in" so please keep that in mind.

As far as basking sites go, most of my adults usually prefer laying on a flat basking surface but do change their laying positions several times throughout the day. When they were younger, they preferred to lay on an incline on one of their basking logs. At night, the adults now prefer to lay flat but when 6 mo or younger, they liked sleeping propped up on a log or on a plastic vine. Not sure if that info helped you or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom