Very Anemic help

Status
Not open for further replies.

themamaj

My dragon recently had surgery this past Thursday for preovulatory follicle stasis. She had several complications and lost a tremendous amount of blood during surgery. Miraculously she is still with us. The vet gave her a lot of fluids after surgery. She has been taking some pedialyte for me as well as has tolerated some syringe feeds of squash, applesauce and mustard greens in a smoothie form. I can tell she is still weak but is alert. Her mucous membranes are very pale. Is there anything else I can do to help her right now?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My dragon recently had surgery this past Thursday for preovulatory follicle stasis. She had several complications and lost a tremendous amount of blood during surgery. Miraculously she is still with us. The vet gave her a lot of fluids after surgery. She has been taking some pedialyte for me as well as has tolerated some syringe feeds of squash, applesauce and mustard greens in a smoothie form. I can tell she is still weak but is alert. Her mucous membranes are very pale. Is there anything else I can do to help her right now?
@AHBD
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your girl is having trouble after her surgery. What supplementation are you giving? Try adding some kelp for help with
iron levels, & some black strap molasses (just a few drops) to help with nutrition. Is her beard dark?
Try to keep her calm, so she doesn't stress herself too much right now, since she is weak. Did the vet give any pain medications?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

themamaj

Original Poster
Thank you so much for reply. She is more alert and walked around a little yesterday. She takes syringe feedings well about 2cc. She is on Ceftazidime injections every 3 days and taking Metacam every day for pain/inflammation. My vet wanted me to keep her Temps consistent day/night in mid 80s to keep BP from getting high after so much blood loss. Was able to increase temp back to mid 90s yesterday and she tolerated that well. She had a couple of episodes yesterday where it looked like she was trying to throw up but didn't. It never happened again but that was concerning because she has taken feeds for several days and no poop. I am hoping the increase in Temps and activity will help that process along. Good idea on molasses and kelp. I will see if I can locate some.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your girl doing today? Were you able to get some molasses & kelp? That is good to hear she didn't
throw up, that is rough on them! I hope the metacam isn't upsetting her tummy. If you have some non dairy
acidophilz or non dairy organic soy yogurt, you can give some daily as a probiotic to help settle her system.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

themamaj

Original Poster
Hello,

How is your girl doing today? Were you able to get some molasses & kelp? That is good to hear she didn't
throw up, that is rough on them! I hope the metacam isn't upsetting her tummy. If you have some non dairy
acidophilz or non dairy organic soy yogurt, you can give some daily as a probiotic to help settle her system.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie
Update on Cera. She had an episode of very labored breathing and gaping. I took her immediately into vet. She was checked out, ultrasound and observed 2 hrs. Vet couldn't find anything wrong. I told her about swallowing sounded off and had vet syringe feed her a tiny bit of water. The vet said it was possible she had a little aspirate but didn't see any signs pneumonia. Still taking Ceftazidime and we had stopped Metacam after a week. Yesterday she had 2 violent choking episodes. Vet said we could add Baytril but will be a day or so before she is back in office. Other than that she really didn't know what to do for her. Had been more than 24 hrs no liquid when episode. No food in 48 hrs. Nothing today. She just lays but is awake. Has had a couple of episodes today gasping breath in then gapes a min then back to normal. Here is a video clip from episode yesterday. I don't know what to do. Afraid to feed her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom