VERY AGGRESSIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
My newest beardie Spitfire is very aggressive. He has been this way since I rescued him from abandonment. If I dare put my hand in the tank, he whips and trys to bite. He has bit me seven times. It makes me wonder why he had been abandoned.

Please help

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he is alone, then perhaps he's just stressed out by his new home. I'd double check to make sure you have a good temperature gradient, proper UVB lighting, and a variety of terrain. Aside from that, be patient. It can take them a week to several months to settle in after relocation so be patient and gentile around him.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Seems to me he's acing out because he is scared , he sees you are as being a nasty human , and he was probably physically abused by the person who had him before you who probably lost interest in him and may even have hurt him physically on a regular occasions to punish him for defending himself (a real hero).

You need to build a trusting relationship with him , I'd start off by spending a lot of time hanging out with him (him inside his "nice safe enclosure" where he can see and hear you, and you talking calmly to him and showing him you are not going to harm him.
I'd make intrusions into his hand daily only to remove poos, clean and replace food and maybe give him a light misting if it's warm, and would avoid any unnecessary physical contact with him for a few weeks , let him settle in and get to know you.

Then I'd start off with small things like offering a treat and petting him, every time he threatens you , pop a food treat in him open mouth , he's soon come to regard you as food giver and then 3/4 the battle is over.

DragonZillaKing

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can try but I hate getting to close to his mouth. His bite is stronger than a normal beardie. It hurts. He seem to like it when I put him in the sink and spray warm water on his back and neck with the dish hose. I guess it is like hot tub jets.

I'm gonna try to bond with him but i really hate getting bitten. Honestly it feels like when you accidentally hit your finger with a hammer.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
DragonZillaKing":1y0wd75y said:
I can try but I hate getting to close to his mouth. His bite is stronger than a normal beardie. It hurts. He seem to like it when I put him in the sink and spray warm water on his back and neck with the dish hose. I guess it is like hot tub jets.

I'm gonna try to bond with him but i really hate getting bitten. Honestly it feels like when you accidentally hit your finger with a hammer.
There is a way to stop the biting that a few breeders and keepers have used. Get a plate of beardie salad and when he flares and goes to bite, let him bite a piece of salad instead. This shows him that you arent trying to hurt him AND he gets nummy food from you. Once he has calmed down, talk to him calmly and stroke the frills on the side of his head, if he flares and gapes again repeat the salad thing and then back to calm talking and gentle stroking. After a bit he will calm down because he sees you as a friend not a big meany pants that is trying to hurt him.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
yeah i'd grab some leather gloves and continue with the food trick. i dont want to say he's too far gone to have him be nice and tame but you definitely need to protect your flesh. glove up and keep trying.

Beardymama33

Juvie Member
ruben0311":39dw48ff said:
yeah i'd grab some leather gloves and continue with the food trick. i dont want to say he's too far gone to have him be nice and tame but you definitely need to protect your flesh. glove up and keep trying.
yuh do this and make it bigger pieces he can bites off.....

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Unfortunately to say, It might be in the best interests of the beardie if you do not have the time and resources to dedicate to him, it may be worth looking into local reptile rescues and reaching out to them for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom