Very aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junebug

Hatchling Member
Hello :)

My Beardie is about 12 weeks old this week. When he first came home, he was 5 weeks old, and we could handle him, then he went to being jumpy, yesterday he bit me while I was trying to get him out to clean his viv and wrap him up in a shirt for bed (yesterday was day three on the shirt trick) he bit my hand. Today my boyfriend went to pet him after he got home for work, and he bit him too! :( I plan to try all of the advice I've read on this tread. But, I have a few questions about his behavior, up until about last week we was fine with me reaching into his viv, and even petting him or picking him up, but he started his second whole shed last week, and got grouchy, I thought it was due to his shed, but its been done now Since Sunday, and he's still grouchy, and runs?! Why did it change? He is currently on the kitchen table, as I have a young child running around and that was the safest place for him, so I do sit with him daily, for a few hours each day, and I talk to him alot!! He is fed Dubia in a dish, as many as he wants three times a day, dusted with Calci or multi vitamins, (multi-vita's twice a week, calcium rest of week, only one feeding a day for the vitamins) and I give him greens and phoenix worms (13 of these a day) which he eats ALOT, I probably dropped almost 20 dubia in his dish this morning, came back about 10 mins later, all but two where gone, this is the most he's eaten at one time so far!! (Good Thing I set a colony up last month).I refilled it, just in case he was still hungry or wanted to eat before he got his second feeding.

I did want to comment on the whole greens things, my Beardie didn't eat greens much, just a few bites here and there when I would drop them in his face. Once I cut up an apple for the kids, and held a small piece back for Puff (My Beardie) diced this up mixed it with collard greens escarole and endive, and put it in his dish, he went crazy for the apple. So I started to dice squash up in place of the apple so its the same size and color, and now he eats his greens (not all, just a little) daily, I also put his phoenix worms in the same salad dish, which forces him to go to it for his worms(which he LOVES) so this helps too I think!! I know my beardie went crazy over the Dubia and worms when i first offered them to him!! Crickets weren't cutting it at all, his first night of Dubia, he ate like 15 at one time, and the first night I offered Phoenix worms he ate about 20 in one feeding! :eek:

dracospike

Original Poster
Sounds very similar to Draco! I am now feeding him twice a day and he is eating 10-15 crickets each time. Still waiting for my worms to arrive so I will try putting them in the greens dish. I have tried doing melon and he wouldn't touch it. Last night I put asparagus, beans and sweet potato. Not sure if he ate any but I did peek in and he was in the dish. I guess it is a start. Sitting by his cage right now with my hand next to it. He will stay still unless I move my hand then he moves away. I am pretty sure this will be a long process but I will stick to it.

Dear Junebug,

Your bearded dragons behavior could be due to a number of reasons. The first one, which I think is the most plausible is that when bearded dragons are moved to a new environment they are temporarily in a type of stupor, where everything is new. Once the stupor leaves, he is more apt to behave like a bearded baby dragon (try to defend himself, run away). There could be a couple other reasons, yet I don't believe they are very likely. Its really great that he is eating so much too, a hungry beardie is usually an indication of a very healthy one.

-------

Wandering away from you when he is outside the tank is very normal. However, if he is running away and looking for a place to hide when outside the tank, it would be best to keep sessions to the tank until he sees you and your hand as "safe".

Here is an AMAZING post about taming an aggressive/skittish baby, especially if he is running away from you when inside the tank. (It certainly helped me out tremendously. I honestly think it should be handed out to every new reptile owner. Please read it :3)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=181456

its the first post by Lurhstaap.

And again, waiting for your bearded dragon to start running along the glass trying to get out and putting your hand along the path is a GREAT way to get it on your hand without scaring it.

-----

I would be careful with apples. They are fine as a treat yet are too high in something (I honestly forget what it is. I remember seeing on numerous feeding charts that apples should only be fed occasionally). A trick that seems to also work with getting them to eat their veggies is to set up a strict feeding schedule. By this I mean feeding it at very specific times until it becomes routine. After this is routine choose a feeding where you give him veggies instead, and give bugs 1-2 hours later. This really is not something to worry about though, as long as there are greens in the tank for him to see all the time, he will get more curious about the veggies as he get older.

Best of luck to both of you, just the fact that you care so much about taming them is going such a long way <3
With the amount of care being lavished upon them, how can they not turn into sweethearts?

Edit: argh Junebug he looks so cute

Junebug

Hatchling Member
Thanks for the link!!! Great advice! I will be trying the "program" My little Puff has always been really affectionate. Tonight after I got home from work, I said hi to him through the glass with my finger then gave him a few mins to adjust to the dogs being excited and let them calm down, then I got him out. He ran from me, but did puff his beard out, nor did he open his mouth at me or try to bite! I let him run around on me for a little while then I covered him up with an extra shirt I wore yesterday! He curled into a ball in my hand and slept for over an hour! I snapped a pic after he had been sleeping for awhile!
20130418_233936_zps47f7d2b1.jpg

He used to do this every night, but last week when he started his full body shed, he seemed a little grouchy, so I left him alone, then it didn't seem to be any better after his shed was done. I just don't want to lose the little cuddles he has always done since coming home! Its sweet, and bums me out he won't fit in my hand once full grown to curl up and sleep!

On the apples, I have probably fed them to him a total of 3 times since he's been home, just as a treat more so, because I know he likes them out of everything I've given him, his regular everyday diet (greens) consists of collard green or mustard greens, squash, endive, escarole dandelion greens, and occasional carrots (not often at all) apples and I've given him bits of green pepper once, which he wasn't fond of at all. All the good for him greens I listed hasn't been all at once either, as I buy new greens once a week, and get something different each week, out of those, because those are in the produce section at the local supermarket, But I waste ALOT of them, as we don't eat them, and the supermarket only sells them in bunches!

Again thanks for the information, I really appreciate the help!! :D

dracospike

Original Poster
Great link! So much great info. I have a feeling that it may take Draco a little longer. Still having a hard time just with my hand outside the glass.

Ok check this out. I talked to a breeder that rescued a bearded and kept him for a year(his name is Rex) so he is about a year and a half. I was in the market for one so I called him he sounded great. Went to his place and looked at the dragon which looked in decent health,semi fat,had all of his toes and tail and no wounds. I held him and was as chill and relaxed as I've seen. Bought him and the exact same cage from the breeder. Drive 20 minutes home and put his tank up and bought some crickets and greens. He ate fine. Then I noticed I could not stick my hand in his tank without him lunging for me to bite my hand and would not stop black bearing hissing,etc. then one day about two days ago. I finally just manned up and put a glove on and grabbed him up as he was biting and bearding. Took him out and handfed him some crickets and ever since he has been okay and still alittle skiddish but he's much better so keep trying dont give up on him because of the aggressiveness. Also yours may be just going through that stage where they are slightly aggressive which sometimes happens and other times does not! Good luck

dracospike

Original Poster
Thanks! He is doing a little better slow going but I am patient. He is calmer with my hand outside of the cage and even in the cage as long as I don't move too much. I have taken him out as little as possible. I have noticed he is becoming more interested when I talk to him and will tilt his head and "listen". He is such a funny little man. Oh yeah and I caught him laying on my shirt I put in there. I am wearing him down slowly.

Yea my dragon Rex is back to being aggressive already, don't know what to do. Sometimes he fine with me picking him up and other times he is not.

Yea I bought mine off of a breeder which must have not treated him very well so hopefully I can help him a little bit but its hard to even pick him up

dracospike

Original Poster
Well luckily he found someone who is willing to work with him. Scary to think that people can mistreat defensless animals. Disgust me.

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
I couldn't hold my Dragon until she was 7 months old without her making a fuss. She is shy by nature and took about 8 months to tame her. I couldn't touch her for the first few months even she would run away and be so scared. But I didn't give up on her and now at a year old she is so sweet and friendly towards me. So don't give up you will be glad you didn't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom