Venting

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardielovers

Hatchling Member
I will be starting construction of a 4x2x2 viv - based on the Crossfire enclosure. I have been looking at the design and also some of the other great vivs posted on this site. I see some variations in the venting and thought I would ask if my idea would work. What I am thinking, is instead of the large square vents on the ends and the small round vents on the back (not sure what these smaller vents are for) I would put a 1x36+ size vent on the top. I would use the back half of the top for the lighting and the front half would be venting. Do you think this would this be adequate ventilation for the beardie?

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
You want to have at least two vents on opposite sides of the tank. this allows for cross ventilation and air flow. With only one open vent, the air is still and sits in the tank.

beardielovers

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
RedHandFilms":ebad0 said:
You want to have at least two vents on opposite sides of the tank. this allows for cross ventilation and air flow. With only one open vent, the air is still and sits in the tank.

Thanks. I was wondering that. I'll keep the 2 vents on opposite sides. It will work out better that way anyway. It seems my wife and I are both beardie addicts and will probably want 2 anyway!! :) We'll be able to stack the 2 vivs easier without having top ventilation.

How easy is it to find a surface mount fixture that you could use an MVB light in? I like the pros that come with this type of light but have only ever seen it with those big clip style of fixtures. I would like to have an MVB light for basking area and then have a ceramic heat source for the night (Manitoba winters are COLD!). Would I need any other light sources for the daytime?

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
For the MVB fixture, I recommend an angled double fixture, like those used for outdoor security flood lights. Something like this.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=87735-337-MT250RU&lpage=none

These can be found at the hardware store. I've used something like this for my viv though I don't use MVB. I've got Halogen plus ReptiSun.
Vviv054.jpg

This fixture is mounted on the top and wired in. The angled mounts are great, especially for MVB because it allows you to mount the fixture off to the side and have a higher basking spot while still maintaining the 12" or 16" away from the light. Most people also pair a MVB with a normal household CFL, just to make things brighter on the other side. The CFLs (not UVB. Never use a UVB CFL) add more light without adding heat. If you need extra heat, use an incandescent bulb here.
Add another single fixture like this for the ceramic heat emitter.

Josh48329

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that MVB's shouldn't be mounted at an angle... Something about it burning out sooner maybe?

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
Most of the mvb's say not to mount at an angle on the package. The mega-ray does not, it can be mounted however you want.

The top vent is a great idea, especially if you are using mvb's. My first 2 viv's had vents on the sides and back and they were not enough ventilation for the heat. The last one I built had vents in the top and sides and works much better. I give you a thumbs UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom