Veggies wont stay fresh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmcd63

I feed my Beardie Kale every day, but there is a problem. It stays fresh for months in the fridge but when i put in the viv he turns hard in a matter of hours. I need a staple Veggie that will last in the cage for a few days if not more. I have heard people say there is a mixed bag of Veggies (with sprouts and carrots etc) in it that they love to use...Can anyone give me some tips?

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Well Kale should not be fed as a staple veggie because it is a goitrogen veggie. So Collard, mustard greens, Endive, dandelion, are all good staples. Here check out Beautifuldragons.com there is a very goos list of fruits & veggies to try. I personally use a Organic mixed baby salad that has Oak leaves, escrole, Frease and bunch of other stuff too and then I add One other really healthy stable veggie to it. like I'll by some dandelion greens to mix in it for a few weeks then I switch to Collard etc. Then he is not just eating one type of green all the time and has soem added flavores. Sometimes I'll put a few pices of green beans. I offten add wheat grass too because this stays good for several weeks and it is in a pot like a growing plant. And I also give him Babyfood occasionally to mix it up if I can't afford an additional mixture of greens to go into the salad .

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, Judah'sHuman is right about the kale, should only be fed with other staple greens. In case you haven't seen it, this site shows the daily staple foods in green ink: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html It's also a good idea to offer a variety of greens to keep there interest and would think that one green fed every single day, could get boring. I don't think any of us humans would want to eat the same thing every day. :) Fresh greens should be put in their tanks daily as they do dry out very quickly because of the tank temp. Also, misting the greens just before you put them in the tank helps to hold the moisture in. I buy enough greens to last a wk and I cut it up on a Sunday, place in a large ziploc freezer bag, squeeze it to get all the air out and store it in the vegetable keeper. If any of the greens have any brown on or are starting to turn yellow or droopy, I remove those parts and don't even bother cutting them up, just toss them and only use the real fresh ones. Favorite greens here are collard, escarole, endive, mustard, and dandelions (when they are available) and I usually mix in a little kale, a little bit of swiss chard once in a while and add either a small amt of parsley, cilantro or snap peas on the top.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
I put a teaspoon of water in the salad bowl with the greens. Another favorite mine love is turnip greens. Mine eat more salad if it contains a variety of greens.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
pscaulkins":560a0 said:
I put a teaspoon of water in the salad bowl with the greens. Another favorite mine love is turnip greens. Mine eat more salad if it contains a variety of greens.
Oh gee, I forgot to mention the turnip greens. I agree that they eat more if there's a variety of them.

nickmcd63

Original Poster
butterbean":4ceba said:
i store all my greens in those green bags u buy, u can purchase them
at walmart and must drug stores have them.

Do you have an idea of what they are called?? Thanks

peera

Sub-Adult Member
They're actually called "Green Bags". However, I've used these and never noticed any difference in keeping time. Big waste of money, IMHO. Diamc's move of getting out all the air is far more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom