Vegetarian Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a new beardie that I have had for about a month. He is about 3 months old now and very tiny. He refuses to eat. Here is some background on his tank:

Size: 40 gallon
Basking temp: 105-110
None basking: Stays pretty good at 85
Thermometer: A probe digital thermometer
UVB: ReptiSun 10.0 UVB tube (new as of the week I got him)
Furniture: A large piece of driftwood that he loves to climb on, a hidey log, and a hammock
Substrate: Paper towel
Watering: He gets a 15 minute bath two times a week. He usually sits in the bath and looks mad. He will drink a little water or just give me the eyes that if they could kill I would be gone.
Feeding: At first I tried to give him crickets. He ran as fast as possible from them and either hid or tried to climb up the tank (which didn’t work well seeing as how it is glass). I have also tried miniworms (which is what he was being feed before I got him so I thought they would be familiar) and phoenix worms. If one of them crawls on him he freaks and runs and the worm usually goes flying across the tank. Otherwise he just ignores them. He will eat a few pieces of his greens a day and some baby food. To get him to eat the baby food though I have to put it on the tip of his nose and then he will lick it off. I have gotten him to gap for me a couple of times and I have gotten worms in his mouth then and he will swallow. Short of this we looks at me like I am crazy for asking him to eat wiggly things. I have tried feeding him in a separate feeding tank and he hates it and just runs from everything wiggly or looks at me like “Save me!” Because of this I got some worms and put them on a small plate and left them in the tank. I count them before they go in and there always seem to be 1 or 2 missing at the end of the day (I can’t find them anywhere in the tank) so I think he eats them, but that is not enough food for him. Is it?

He doesn’t look like he is losing weight despite his vegetarian diet, but I am still worried. I don’t know what to do. Other than his eating he is pretty active. He loves to run around his tank. Two days ago he decide that jumping was better than walking and for about an hour he hopped everywhere in his tank. He also hasn’t shed since I have had him, which is probably because he isn’t growing. He will also just go to the bathroom maybe once a day and it looks normal and healthy.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and sorry for the novel.

Lilly

foto69man

Hatchling Member
A few things you could try...

Leave him in the seperate tank with the crickets for awhile, he might get the idea eventually(my marvin did)

Switch to an MVB Bulb, some dragons respond better to those

If you are worried about him losing weight, give him a waxworm once a week to keep weight on. Other than that, everything sounds good. if it gets worse, i might take hime in to the vet. Do you have any current pics of him to see how he looks?

Littlelillyanne

Original Poster
Do you have an suggestions on what type of MVB blub to get? I do have some pictures of him, but I am unsure of how to post pictures. Also, where is a good place to get the blub from (I know I can just go to PetSmart, but I try to avoid this :D ).

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Take notice of the poops to determine how much the dragon is eating. Some babies are "closet" bug eaters. I know of a couple of breeders who raise their dragons for the first 4 months on veggies alone.
For sure UVB can be a factor, either the bulb quality, or being too far from the dragon.

Also, there is the potential for having a runt dragon also. I let go a couple of beautiful females a few months ago since at 7 months old they were still 7 inches long. Perfectly healthy too.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom