UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Yeah, a T5 without a reflector is probably fine. A T8 with a reflector would be fine as well.

As for the basking bulb, you need to be really precise with halogen flood lights. They can get the temps really high. I'm using a 60w halogen mounted outside the viv, at 13" away and with it at 60% power it gets his basking spot to 105 F (110 F being maximum recommended).

I've seen these bulbs as low as 45 watts. If you get a halogen you definitely need to get a dimmer and a digital temp probe and you need to test it out without him in the tank.

I would say that there isn't a really big difference in heat area spread between a halogen and a basking spot bulb. The thing that makes the biggest difference is distance. What makes a halogen able to provide a broader area of heat is DISTANCE. You can put a 60 watt halogen 2 feet away from the basking spot, run it at 100% power and provide a nice good wide area of heat, but if your bulb ix FIXED at a close distance like your is, then you aren't going to have this benefit, so, IMO, if the basking bulb you have it working for you then just stick with that.

I'm not a fan on interior mounted lights, because for one thing I think they are generally too close. You can't really move your light back and moving it back is what you have to do to get a broader basking area.

So, yeah, I think, given your setup, the traditional basking pot light is fine. A halogen may be too powerful in that space. Even a 45 watt may need to be dimmed.

Aaron92

Original Poster
I have a dimming stat I want to try a halogen light as I hear they are brighter and better for heat he doesn't bask a lot at the moment so it's worth a try I can aways lower his Basking platform if it's to hot i was thinking of getting one that slopes so if he want more heat he can go higher :)

I also have 3 Digital probes

Basking spot

Middle(I know it's not needed but it has humidity to)

Cold end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom