UVB Size and Placement idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading through the forums here and other places I'm a little confused about the UVB placement. Right now i have a zoomed hood with a repti-sun 10.0 florescent bulb that takes up 80% the distance across the enclosure. Not much room for my Beardie to get away from it except the distance not being on the higher basking spot. I am in the beginning stages of building an enclosure loosely based on the Crossfire build.

My question...
if the enclosure is say 4x2x2 and I go with the idea of the uvb bulb taking up 3/4 the length of the cage i need a 36" bulb. Now i have also read that at roughly 20" away from the bulb (while not on the raised basking spot) there isn't a whole lot of uvb getting to the bottom of the cage. Plus I've read that the Beardies need a place to get away from the UVB rays so they can regulate their absorption. Is there a reason not to use say a 22" or 24" fixture and bulb installed parallel to the sides directly over the basking spot with a spot light next to it in an adjustable fixture so it points on the basking spot? Would that not give the proper UVB light to the raised basking spot since I've also read that these florescent bulbs release the most UVB in the center than they do at the ends.

I am new to all this and my be confused about something so if I'm wrong please let me know where my thinking went awry.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...yes, that would work just fine, as long as the UVB is close enough. Some of the suggestions + recommendations about husbandry are flexible.

gunkleneil

Original Poster
I was thinking of going with the acadia 12 (?) High output bulb as it seems to work better from farther up than the reptisun 10.0 and that would mean the basking spot doesn't need to be 12" off the floor and the bulb can be mounted to the ceiling to hit the recommended distance from the bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom