UVB question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there,

Here's the top of his viv as of now:
104131-9063450968.jpg

I've got his UVB light across the top kind of diagonally. It doesn't look like it, but it's not resting on or blocked by the mesh. I'm careful to make sure if that a couple of times during the day.

What I need to know is, how far away from the bottom should a 10.0 T8 fixture be from the bottom of the viv for him to still benefit from the rays? His basking spot on the tree is 7 inches from the fixture exactly. I'm sure I'll have to move things around once it's mounted inside to get his spot right again.

I'm just ready to get this thing in there. It's a pain to have to move everything just to get him out or clean up messes. Thanks in advance!

Jess

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
T 8's should be 8-10 inches -- your good at the 7" --- and since you dont have the mesh /screen its good -- its not blocking those rays-- what exactly are you going to do? The set up looks fine the way it is-- what size the tank -- it looks like a 20 gallon from the pic?
Karrie

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2nmkpphg said:
T 8's should be 8-10 inches -- your good at the 7" --- and since you dont have the mesh /screen its good -- its not blocking those rays-- what exactly are you going to do? The set up looks fine the way it is-- what size the tank -- it looks like a 20 gallon from the pic?
Karrie

I was in the other room when I snapped this. It's a 40 gallon. 36in long x18in wide x 17.5in high.

Ok so should the T8 be 8-10 inches from the basking spot? I want to know how high to put it so he gets the rays on the bottom too when he's running around, exploring, etc..

I want to mount it on the inside so that I don't have to move everything to get to him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
T 8's should be 8-10 from basking spot--
so if hes on the floor no further than 10 inches
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The distance recommendation is for the basking spot to the bulb, since the basking surface is usually higher up closer to the bulb.

I wouldn't worry so much about the distance from the floor. The basking surface is where they should go for their uv exposure, and from there there should be a gradient of lower and lower uv.

-Brandon

Jessluvsdragons

Original Poster
claudiusx":b6cnrlhn said:
The distance recommendation is for the basking spot to the bulb, since the basking surface is usually higher up closer to the bulb.

I wouldn't worry so much about the distance from the floor. The basking surface is where they should go for their uv exposure, and from there there should be a gradient of lower and lower uv.

-Brandon

Ok. Thanks for clearing it up what I was trying to say. I was overthinking it. Basically, as long as his basking spot is correct he's good.

Thank you too Karrie. Sorry if I was being confusing! I get stuck on things sometimes and can't see the bigger picture. Stubborn, one track mind. ?

Jess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom