UVB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
I am setting up my 3rd terrarium for my third Bearded dragon. I ordered the same 34 inch fixture to install on the inside of the terrarium like my other two set-ups, but it's a hair too long for this terrarium with the cord added to the end. I can't do it a little crooked because of the way the lid opens.

I looked and noticed all the bulbs I order are Zoo-Med Reptisun T5 HO bulbs. Is it okay for this to be on top of the screen since it's a T5?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TracyMarie":351goi7s said:
I am setting up my 3rd terrarium for my third Bearded dragon. I ordered the same 34 inch fixture to install on the inside of the terrarium like my other two set-ups, but it's a hair too long for this terrarium with the cord added to the end. I can't do it a little crooked because of the way the lid opens.

I looked and noticed all the bulbs I order are Zoo-Med Reptisun T5 HO bulbs. Is it okay for this to be on top of the screen since it's a T5?

Not ideal or adviseable : the mesh used in commercial petshop viv lids is fine enough to block a large part of the UVA & UVB produced by the tube , typically about 45% - 50% blockage , see this for more information :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235210&p=1809330#p1809330

This will help work out the required tube to basking spot distance for your situation :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Ideally the T5HO tube will be a 10%UVB or 12%UVB tube, in a reflector hood, with no obstruction , to get adequate UVA & UVB , the distance is about 12" .
In your case , you will have allow the dragon to climb a lot closer ( mesh obstructing UV by about 45%) so distance is about 7" needed to get about 200 microW UVB/ sq.cm at the basking spot.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you, I think I was having a brain fart. It sure would be much easier if we didn't have to struggle to get these inside the tank, but that is what it's like being beardie parents. *lol*.

I went ahead and ordered the Zoo Med 22" and the Zoo Med Reptisun 22" T5 HO bulb.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The 22 inch UVB housing came in today, the bulb should arrive tomorrow and I can finally get it installed. I am so ready to have her lighting working correctly as it should. I'm still having a bit of an issue finding the right basking bulb for the right temp. I usually use a 65 watt flood lamp, but the bulb is just a bit too long for some reason.

Still a work in progress.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Basking bulb too long? Or too strong? You could try suspending it from a stand and keeping it a bit further away. Or maybe hook it to a dimmer to cut power a little bit as needed.

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got the zilla halogen Mini dome and a 50 watt halogen bulb and temps are perfect. Love this mini dome!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom