UVB Making Basking Spot HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a new uvb (reptisun t5 5.0 HO) to go in my 55g tank. It’s a good distance from her basking spot area but the surface temp of the decoration is 123f and I don’t know what to do. I can’t rearrange her tank to still have her spot hot but not too hot. It’s mounted on the very top inside of her tank because she didn’t like it on the mesh (it was dull). Will it hurt her if she lays there? Her mouth isn’t gaping and she seems super happy.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That bulb shouldn't be producing much heat. Should only feel warm to the touch. How far away from the basking area is it? The 5.0 should be 6-8'' while the 10.0 should be more around 10-14'' or so. 123 is a bit high for surface temp so I'd try adjusting the basking light a bit. They are good at self regulating though so if it gets too hot for her, she should just move off to the side to a cooler spot on her own.

BabyBeardie13

Original Poster
CooperDragon":am8fmtmq said:
That bulb shouldn't be producing much heat. Should only feel warm to the touch. How far away from the basking area is it? The 5.0 should be 6-8'' while the 10.0 should be more around 10-14'' or so. 123 is a bit high for surface temp so I'd try adjusting the basking light a bit. They are good at self regulating though so if it gets too hot for her, she should just move off to the side to a cooler spot on her own.

It’s approx 12” from the hot spot, her basking bulb is at least 6” across the tank from where it’s super hot so it has to be the uvb. Is there something wrong with it if it’s producing heat? I feel better knowing she will move if she’s too hot, but now I’m concerned with my brand night light nd fixture making such heat ? Would it upset her to rearrange her tank to make it work better? Keeping the hot and cool sides the same?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UVB light should sit next to the basking light over the main basking area. At a 12'' distance I suggest upgrading to a 10.0 bulb (or Arcadia 12%) as that is out of the optimal range for a 5.0 bulb.

The bulb shouldn't be producing much heat at all. If you hold your hand under it does it feel like it's projecting heat? Is there anything around it that could be producing heat? How are you measuring surface temperatures? I'd double check that to make sure you're getting an accurate reading as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom