UVB Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All!

I currently have a baby/juvenile dragon Norton, who lives in a 40 gallon tank. He's been home for almost three weeks now(?), and he's been doing great! About five days ago he just finished his first shed, and his behavior changed slightly during it. He skipped a day or two of meals, and then ever since has been eating around 5-6 dubias compared to the 10-12 he was eating before he began his shed. Since the shed started, he's been more lethargic than usual. Now as far as the lighting goes, here's my question: He currently lives with a Reptisun 10.0 coil(I have a double dome fixture going on), could that be contributing to the lethargy or is it just from the shed? I know there has always been a controversy from coil to tube UVB lighting(his eyes are completely fine); I got my tank as a "starter kit" which came with the double dome and the coil light so I figured I would try it, however if it really seems that the 10.0 tube would be better I will switch them out for him. He walks and jumps and eats perfectly fine, however typically when he lounges he stretches his back legs out behind him. I just want to make sure it isn't anything like early MBD forming.

Also, if it is the coil lighting that's causing the lethargy, if I switch him into the tube tomorrow how long do you think it would take before seeing more active results? I don't want to wait too long to take action if it is something more serious.

Thanks!

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I'd definitely switch out the coil for the tube. Most people that switch notice a change in behavior within a day or 2. Those coils don't put off the proper amount of uvb. Do you dust his feeders with calcium and vitamins?

newreptile

Original Poster
destiny1998":2fp22pmg said:
Hi. I'd definitely switch out the coil for the tube. Most people that switch notice a change in behavior within a day or 2. Those coils don't put off the proper amount of uvb. Do you dust his feeders with calcium and vitamins?

Yes, I dust his dubias with the RepCal "combo" of calcium and the multivitamin. He's still pretty active, he just started sleeping more when the shed started and he hasn't shaken the sleeping off yet. Do I need to worry about the tube affecting his eyes at all or no? Which one would be best suited for a 40 gallon?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
I use a 24inch reptisun 10.0 t8. Never had any issues. I replace every 6 months. I also have 40 gallon breeder tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom